setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Cast No Shadow - Page 2

[Private] Cast No Shadow

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Private] Cast No Shadow

Helios Tallon | Army of God; Chief

Posted on Fri May 19, 2017 8:40 pm

My teacher had said nothing. I had accepted relocation many times, in fact, for many years I had been assigned to the Viajero División. My job was to always keep moving, to have a home nowhere and everywhere. It was one of the many reasons why I had been chosen for Index first. I had accepted before my teacher had even finished speaking. I remembered that look of apprehension in his eyes. He knew that I had only agreed to come for one reason. I knew he knew, he knew I knew, but neither of us had ever spoken of it. Even if we had, it would not have made a difference. He was a dark man, hardened by his years of service just like myself. The difference was, darkness had only smothered me... But it had claimed him. I remembered the day I had graduated. All light had left him. There was a perverse man behind his white collar, one that found more joy from pain he inflicted in his teachings than he did from his vows. For many years I worried for him. In some ways, I still did.

I suppose I had intentionally blinded myself to the truth that Index hid behind it's lush forest and busy streets. I had come here for one purpose, had I not? Why worry my tired mind with demons when I was chasing the devil? But I found that tired mind only grew more fatigued as I persisted, chasing shadows that the sun always moved out of reach. And there had been many suns. Had I made the wrong decision? Or was the truth simply that I had made the right decision but gone about it in all the wrong ways? Maybe if I stopped chasing... He would chase me? That was a wearisome thought... Could it be that simple? Had I wasted years of my life chasing, when all I needed was to stop and wait? Maybe if I stopped... I would see the horror that was staring me in the face now. Some will abandon the faith and follow demons... Abandonment... How had I fallen so far?

I had shifted positions. It felt as though my legs had become welded to the ground. Something told me I should not see, but curiosity had overcome me. I knew I would remember the moment forever, when my eyes met the land while my ears listened. Whatever this was, I did not know, but it felt dark, and I felt I was responsible. At least partially. How long had it been like this? My eyes widened in horror... I had seen a great many things. I had witnessed children sobbing over their dead mothers body, only to be taken by the killer shortly after. I had seen an entire block engulfed in flames and a wicked man grinning at the destruction, and laughing at the painful screams. I had seen the hearts of loved ones ripped from their chest like they were made of paper, time and time again. My hands were stained in red, and yet this... Whatever it was, this was suffocating me. I could not breathe, and I likely would have passed out if the voices of the two men hadn't caught my attention.

Talk of black substances, shadows, casting... The pieces were together, but what was I meant to do with the finished product? One knew I was here, I knew that much. But he had not attacked. The other... He was performing magic. I felt my hands slipping down the sides of my ankles. My blades slipped from their casings and tucked into my sleeves. When I emerged, revealing myself, I suppose I had an intention to do something... But instead, I found myself fixated on the darkness on the other side. When my eyes finally met the two men, I relocated my focus. What is the translation?

Back to top Go down

Malakai Greenmantle III | Warlock; Elementalist

Posted on Fri May 26, 2017 3:24 am

That was an odd thing to say. Though it didn’t really sink in because all my focus was on the seal. Watching with an intent determined stare as the wax pushed it’s way into the formation. Solidifying and pulsing once it was complete. If I ran to this once Shane saw something then it would trigger and potentially save my life. Earth was a physical element. It had substance. I couldn’t use it against the incorporeal. All I had was second rate parlor tricks and my own pure energy. Manifesting that could work but then it was also a surefire way to drain myself quickly. Rising and stepping back from my masterpiece I felt pretty damn proud. I had been trying to work with the fire lately but it was all still very foreign territory for me. “Most definitely. Though I don’t know how many people I want to get directly involved with this.” My gaze stuck on the white tree. “I don’t want to be the cause of others stumbling into this and taking with them what I did.” I hadn’t told him yet that I had a shade attached to me. I felt the less people that knew about that fact the better. Especially Necromancers. It did feel horrible but there was some comfort in the fact Daphne was in the same unsteady boat as I was in. Less of a likelihood that she would use mine against me. If anyone could it would be a bloody Necro.

I’d been far too engaged with the seal. The sense of achievement for getting it right and then pondering whether or not to take the residue I was going to gather to Edith. That I didn’t even notice someone else was with us until he spoke. Was this what Shane was trying to get at when he mentioned there are a few souls? Christ why didn’t he say something before I’d starting casting? Oh, that’s right. Necro. Keep reminding yourself Kai old chap. Both he and Daphne might seem like nice people but don’t be deceived. Don’t be the idiot you were last time.

I’d never had the ability to read auras. Once again I’d forgotten to bring the enchanted glasses with me that gave me the skill. There was no way for me to know whether I was looking at a human, or a wolf, or another caster. Glancing between the man and Shane I let out a nervous laugh. Teaming it immediately with a wide smile to counter balance. “Take it you don’t speak Infernal?” Wish that could have been an indication of who he was, what he might be doing here but I had nothing. “By the flames of Surtr, Primordial of Fire, I protect thee.” Was no reason not to answer his question in reality. The incantation required specific pronunciation and some way of bonding to fire. Shane couldn’t use it and unless the new guy was a fire element wielder, or had it as a secondary, it was just some flowery words. If he was mortal then I just looked like a nutter who read too much of The Wheels of Time and played too many RPG’s. If he was a wolf. Well…two against one were excellent odds if it came to that.

“Nature lover?” Directed the question at the newcomer but then turned my head to raise my eyebrows at Shane. What were we going to do about this? Being rude wasn’t rightly in my nature but neither of us needed an audience and I didn’t want civilian casualties on my hands. By shadow creature, of course, I wasn’t going to stab someone with a crystal spear just for tramping in a dangerous part of the woods. I wasn’t barbaric. Spending too much time here did feel me with dread though. Getting this over and done with was my number one concern. Being near the circle could strengthen the shade I had following me. So could walking into the damn thing but I had to do that regardless.

Back to top Go down

Shane Mathis | Warlock; Necromancer

Posted on Mon May 29, 2017 1:23 am

My head cocked to the side as I eyed the newcomer suspiciously. Maybe it was my history, or maybe, it was the fact that, oh, I don’t know, the man was dressed like a goddamn mercenary ninja. How could Kai be so nonchalant with him? Perhaps it was the idea that the man was no longer in rogue mode, no longer trying to hide. My implication had worked and the two were conversing as if they’d met for coffee, but I couldn’t be comfortable. I had a history, and if I hadn’t made sure myself of the obliteration of Northwater, I would have my own suspicions but no fear. Nature lover? That was his question? Did he look like some rando out for a fucking stroll? Would love for the ability for a “will you help me in the kitchen?” moment, but that wasn’t going to happen here. Did it matter? He was a human, not very much of a threat to either of us. Perhaps that’s why Kai was at ease. How did you find this place? My question obviously directed toward the newcomer.

I kept a wary eye on the necrotic ground zero, almost annoyed now of our company. I wanted to explore the place, touch things I shouldn’t, like a kid. I was now as curious as Kai, for completely different reasons. Was this something from which I could draw power? What was the story behind this place? How did a human find this place? Was there some kind of pull that extended even to them? As much as I wanted to venture out into the abyss, I felt my duty here was protecting Kai, even if it was something other than a shadow that posed a threat.

Back to top Go down

Helios Tallon | Army of God; Chief

Posted on Tue May 30, 2017 6:54 pm

If they could see me now, those who watched and judged me. Conversations with casters while staring unafraid at decaying earth. It was the grand opening line to a book about how to betray your God and humanity, and I was the protagonist. Questions of faith and loyalty seemed suddenly so trivial, because while I had not been overcome by fear, I had been overcome by something much worse. I speak many things... That, unfortunately, is not one of them. Where you were trained determined what you were taught. No one hunter knew everything. In some places, knowing nothing was what kept a hunter fearful. Those particular men and women were almost feral, ruled by their fear of the unknown and run entirely on instinct. And what are you protecting? I asked, looking at the man with light hair curiously.

My eyes turned to the other man. He gave me an uneasy feeling, unlike the other. How did you? I could feel my blades wanting to slide down. I had been fighting an impulse to sever the wick on the flame, to end this so I could discover the truth. Tempting death was foolish, especially when I felt I was so close to justice. However, I did not know what had caused this. It was just as likely that I was standing face to face with deceivers, nefarious minds coming back to the scene of their crime.

I took a step forward, feeling compelled to trek into the tainted land. What is this? I whispered, glaring out towards the scene in front of me, feeling as if I was in a dream. Another step, and I felt the hair on my arm stand on end, it rippled up towards the back of my neck. What caused this?

Back to top Go down

Malakai Greenmantle III | Warlock; Elementalist

Posted on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:32 pm

This happened more than you could imagine. Not this exact scenario but carbon copies of it. Strangers were always somewhat standoffish when they encountered one another if there wasn’t a clear purpose to the meeting. Like striking up a conversation with someone at a busstop. Not that I’d ever caught a bus before. I was always left as the smiling genuinely open individual while everyone else had a guard up. There was clearly more reason to adopt a shield in this situation but I did feel like we were a little past that now. This gentleman had witnessed a ritual spell. Heard me talk in a completely foreign lauguage which was completely unlike hearing tourists chatter away in their own distinct tongue. Not to mention in front of us was a scene straight out of a Grim fairytale. “Myself. I’m protecting myself. From…I want to say this..” I gestured broadly out towards the desolate circle of death and the white tree itself. “…however that sounds silly because it’s just an abnormally colored plant.” Trying to explain what it was I was actually protecting myself from was not a topic I wanted to get into. Would be difficult anyway as I wasn’t completely solid on how to. Daphne was my lifeline in that department and even she seemed to be coming up short. Or she was hiding everything she knew from me.

“That would be my fault.” Raising a hand as if I was in class, I shrugged my shoulders. “Took a mid morning stroll and stumbled upon it. Now that I know it’s here I can’t just leave it be.” Dom and Will had pointed out on many occasions that I stood in the wings waiting for my chance to play the hero. Had to agree on some level that the rush of knowing I’d helped someone was a feeling that did fuel a lot of what I did in every aspect of life. It was one of the reasons I continued to run Idiom. The money was great. The recognition within my own coven and in the wider community, also a form of drug that elevated my disposition. That all paled in comparison to knowing that I was doing good. “Wish I could give you an answer as to what it is, but that’s part of the reason why I’m back here. It’s not by choice this place gives me goosebumps.” I rubbed both my arms, one after the other, as if I could literally feel my skin raising in protest at being around the White Tree. Was doing my best to shove the sensation to the back of my mind. I didn’t rightly know what these shadow creatures fed from. What made them stronger. It was an easy go to, that they might sense and delight in the fear of others.

Settling my gaze on Shane I knew he was probably think I was crazier than a Holy Priest trying to solo a group quest but even with this new addition here I needed to focus on getting this done. The longer I stayed here the more likely it was that I would start lingering on the thoughts that I’d almost died last time. That Daphne wasn’t here this time to make my stomach twist at the realisation she could use her Death Magick for something other than playing with the souls of the dead as well as the living. “Here goes nothing. I’m going to try and not go too far in.” There were a variety of corpses around. The black tar substance shining with the sunlight from overhead catching on its slick surface. “Just going to fill a couple of these.” Jangling the box that had once contained the components for my seal, it now clattered with the jingle of glass. Standing directly on the edge of the circle, the toes of my boots just barely over the edge, I took a deep breath. Striding quickly into no man's land I stopped to glance down at the bird of prey I’d eyed earlier. There wasn’t enough of the obsidian gunk to fill even quarter of a vial. Made me wish I’d brought a pocket knife with me to open its chest cavity to find out if it was filled with the stuff. A demonic piñata. Abandoning it I moved in further.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics