setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Cast No Shadow

[Private] Cast No Shadow

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Private] Cast No Shadow

Malakai Greenmantle III | Warlock; Elementalist

Posted on Mon May 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Instead of having Shane pay me for the items he had requested I had delved more into this idea of trade that one of my clientele had suggested. On the odd occasion I already dealt in swap meets. Taking hard to come by ingredients in exchange for my services but I hadn’t made a habit of it. Left the terms of a contract far too ambiguous. Since I was technically changing details of our original agreement I had offered to reinstate a new deal entirely. I had everything he would need for the item he wanted to create, including Vampire blood but since some time had passed since we were last in contact I wasn’t going to assume he would still want what we had agreed on. Especially when now it was in exchange for an outing to a dangerous place. Taking Daphne had not been an option in my mind. Had already gotten a shade attached to her like I had to myself. I wasn’t going to put her in further jeopardy. I’d already gotten myself involved with Shane on a business level so while this was a dose of the same toxin I had drunk due to meeting the albino Necromancer. It wasn’t like I was knowingly creating more debts to bloody death magic wielders.

Finding the spot had been more difficult than I first imagined. As Daphne and I hadn’t been taking notes of what path we were taking I had spent the majority of the journey glued to my phone. Tracking the Ley Line’s through the app on my phone. All I had to do was find the blank spot in the tendrils and we would find the necrotic white tree. Should have peppered the lengthy trip with conversation about the new terms of my contract with Shane but I was having a hard enough time focusing on the present as it was. More often than not while trying to work on the Museum, decipher items sent to me by clients, enchant new products and even think about this calamity, I’d find myself flicking through texts from Michelle instead. Nothing overly important. Just mindless banter. Though for some reason I always found it more appealing than what I should be doing. When I was right in the middle of doing it. Dom had put a lock on my Facebook application for me. Giving it some kind of long numerical password so I couldn’t open it. Just to help me out.

“We’re here.” It wasn’t my cell phone screen that was telling me but the sight of a slight rise. The hill that Daphne and I had clambered up. Over the ridge of it would be an expanse of desolation. Dead animals. A circle void of life of any description except for the giant white tree in the centre of it. “Whatever you do, don’t step into the ring. I almost died last time.” I wasn’t going to get yet another person sucked completely into this black hole. All I needed Shane to do was keep an eye out for shadows. While I went and collected black sludge from one of the corpses. I could sometimes see mine. I knew it was always there though, whether I could or not. That tingling feeling on the back of your neck when you could sense someone watching you. Always had those goose bumps now. “Over this ridge. Let me know if the tree rings any bells.”

Back to top Go down

Re: [Private] Cast No Shadow

Shane Mathis | Warlock; Necromancer

Posted on Thu May 11, 2017 2:21 am

Outfit however Shane is wearing yellow Timberland boots.

Even with Sofia out of the picture, any tools were helpful, whether weapons, shields, or again, tools. She wouldn’t be the last time a target was also sought after by others, including vampires. And they weren’t getting paid for these targets. So our deal was kept intact, and I was more than happy to pay the cost he requested. Curiosity alone drove me to an excitement fueled form of motivation. I was learning also, to learn more on my own. Where to look, what to look for, and his phone app was one of the things I’d noticed from the get-go. It made sense. Some locations seemed more effective than others and I’d simply assumed it was nothing more than the mood the location set. There was a place not far from the interstate leading to Seattle I had in mind to check out as soon as this encounter was over.

The more we walked, the less of a certain noise there was. The noise that was more of a feeling, a different kind of sense, that I’d learned to see spending time with Disco. Simply put, it was the myriad of life force that I could sense. A crowded place was strong, “loud”. A forest was dependent. What kind of forest, how deep into it I was. Flora, fauna. It all mattered and sometimes I could sense flavors to differentiate when it was a mass of one type of life. But never had it faded in this way. Like there was a brick wall lying ahead. It made me nervous, something I hadn’t felt to this extent in some time. I can tell, I looked for a sign, unable to see much, visually I would have had no idea what he was talking about other than the rise in topography ahead. I knew I’d find nothing but I still looked at the sky. But I pushed away a branch and made careful steps up the hill. I almost found myself preparing for it, as of I wanted some sort of dramatic drumroll. I didn’t lift my eyes until I knew I’d reached the peak of the hill. I was not disappointed.

It would be an easily called out lie if I claimed to be the same person I was before. When I looked in the mirror I felt as if I could see physical changes. Not anything obvious to someone who hadn’t seen my face in the mirror daily. And it wasn’t something I could point my finger on. It was just different. My mind, it seemed to run differently too, as if I’d had new hardware installed. But the first second I looked out to that hellish, abstract scene, I felt almost an electric shock of my old self, and he was terrified. Not even a minute later, the upgraded version was fascinated, even impressed - but not foolish. Something, someone with formidable power was behind this. My sense was the only thing that reminded me that this was something more than some goth kid’s art project. But that sound, that tone I’d felt, sensed, it was present in a different way. It wasn’t unlike what I’d felt after a kill.

I wouldn’t say it’s familiar, I said, transfixed because there was something new to notice every direction I looked. There was a story behind this, an event, and I would have killed to see it. The feeling I get only adds to what you see. Death. And I didn’t know how to explain to him, that I didn’t mean merely the absence of life. I finally tore my eyes away, and decided to make an attempt, even if I’d sound amateur. Maybe he could sense things at least to an extent. Maybe he’d know what I meant, maybe he wouldn’t. I don’t mean death in the conventional sense, Kai. Death is a force just like life, only not very strong, at least not on this side. Not usually.

Back to top Go down

Helios Tallon | Army of God; Chief

Posted on Thu May 11, 2017 5:30 pm

A set of four blades were strapped openly around my boots. Two on each side, cased in sturdy fabric, and snapped in, in a way that only a skilled hunter could remove speedily. Two Glocks sat less visibly at my back. From the bridge of my nose, down to my feet, I was encased in black, my clothing snug, with just enough room to breathe. My face was hidden except for my eyes and above. And my feet carried no sound, my pulse steady, and breathing seemingly as still as the dead.

A set of coordinates brought me here. Looking for remains, and likely the living dead. It was a grim mission, one that filled my heart with despair. With a clear head once again intricately forced into me, and my vows in the front of my mind, I was equipped to use that despair as a driving force. It greased my muscles, calmed my pulse, and directed my intent. Pray for those who persecute you...

Pray for me...

The canopy grew thicker, and terrain less regular. Stay off the human path. My body became still, frozen, all but my eyes which scanned the wildlife that surrounded me. They narrowed when they locked on a direction south of my position. Someone was here. Was it him? Waiting... Watching... Hoping to witness the scene as I unearthed a corpse from the moistened soil? Was his form cloaked in the darkness of the canopy? Hiding in shadows where monsters liked to dwell? It was not where he belonged. Light was his fate, burning as bright as the fire of the sun, and I would not watch for joy, but only to verify the removal of his twisted mind and pale carcass from this planet. Only to assure the freedom of those which would have encountered him, those which would be inevitably inflicted by his darkness. If we say we have fellowship with him, whist we walk in darkness, we lie.

Walking into a trap was only worthwhile if the hook was baited with a loved one. And with that thought, I let my body, I let my senses lead me to the presence... Quickly learning that not one, but two had found themselves deep in the lions den with me. An impulse to protect, and no longer seek vengeance had overcome me. And I felt pity for myself, as I found myself wishing I had not been bound to such ideas of morality. Is this what I had become? A selfish man driven only by selfish desires? Did I still deserve the title of Priest? Did I still deserve the title of Warrior? Did I still deserve the title of Man?

The feeling inside me only grew more somber as I became all too aware that I did not know the answer anymore. Not even deceit could convince me that I was deserving of anything. And it was likely true, a fact that did not discourage or encourage me, but only existed always, as invisible as the air around me. I could not fight it off, or tell it to leave, because like air, it did not bruise or obey. It just... Was.

I had stayed hidden, not seeing, but hearing. Another sense was triggered, however... And I could practically feel them... Rows of goosebumps traveling up my arm like a wave rushing to the shore. They seemed to sprout on either side of me, perfectly in sync. Both reaching the back of my neck and climbing down my spine. The urge to shiver was only calmed by my will to stay still. My will to be unseen. Until feet began moving again, I had remained still. But I too started moving, quietly, slowly, following the two men by nothing but the sound of their voices. Words of death and dying being exchanged casually this deep into the forest was a warning sign, one I did not ignore, but did not act on either. Instead... My feet carried me into the thick of the trees... Until... It was just a glance, I could not see much, but something was off in this location. My line of sight was obstructed, and I could not delve any deeper without being noticed, but what I did see...

I pressed the button on the side of the device around my wrist, it was small, appeared to be a watch, but it instantly pinpointed my location for later. And I returned to listening... But not just listening, seeing the two men now. My position shielded just enough for my eyes to catch a glimpse. And there I stayed.

Back to top Go down

Malakai Greenmantle III | Warlock; Elementalist

Posted on Sun May 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Translation: By the flames of Surtr, Primordial of Fire, I protect thee

Death. That word again. The end of life in an organism. All biological and living activity of the living thing stops, including the mind and the senses. All living things have a limited lifespan, and all living things eventually die. Wikipedia definition or not it still filled me with dread. “All living things eventually die.” I echoed the dictionary description of the word while looking down at what had once been a meadow. In my minds eye I could replace the desert conditions with wild grasses. Resurrect the corpses that littered the earth. “This is the only side I’m interested in.” Shane could leave his intellectual musings about the other side to himself. All of that had been plaguing my mind in the middle of the night enough without adding to the nightmare. I’d played over and over in my head how I was going to explain to Michelle why I could somewhat relate to her beginnings. That I knew a thing or two about souls shifting bodies. None of what I knew was based on anything Shane or Daphne had knowledge of. It was from disturbing experiences I didn’t really want to talk about. “I respect the circle of life and death but there is nothing natural about this.” Necromancers did not in my eyes have any regard for the boundaries of the spirit.

Slipping my back pack off carefully I unzipped the top and slowly pulled out a small wooden box. Collecting ingredients, components was not something I had studied. The Greenmantle coven didn’t grow their own herbs nor harvest anything themselves. We were discoverers not cultivators. Cutting out a middle man and just producing our own could potentially be a profitable expansion but I just didn’t see myself sinking money into a greenhouse to play around with gardening sheers all day. “I would like to investigate the tree itself.” I righted myself, box in my hands directing my gaze on the white blight on the desolation. “Last time I approached it I was attacked.” The fact that Shane could sense Death was further of an indication that I was out of my depth. My magic was about life. Fighting the Grim with its dinner was a losing battle. “I can’t see them. They’re only shadows but I could feel it drawing the life out of me.”

Turning to him I tucked the box under one arm, extending the other to place the hand on his shoulder. “You’ll see them though. I just need time to collect a sample of that black substance that’s oozing out of the dead.” Nodding down to the circle I focused on the closest body that wasn’t so decomposed that it was unrecognisable. A bird of prey. “Have no idea what I’m going to do with it once I’ve got it but it’s a start.” Giving him the warmest smile I could muster given the circumstances I began striding down to the edge of the circle. “Normally I’d cast Heart of Stone before entering the wolfs den but it would be a waste of energy. Though I did bring what I need for a fire ward.”

Kneeling about two paces away from the perimeter I set down the box and my bag. Removing components from the backpack. A candle. Lighter. Amaranth grain in a small plastic baggie. Using ingredients related to the earth always raised the likelihood of a fire spell working as intended for me. Amaranthus was a collection of short lived perennial plants that were associated with the sun. Combined with the seals symbol and actual fire and I should have an energy triggered ward. Using the butt of the lighter I scrawled the sigil into a bare patch of earth and dug the candle into the middle of it. Striking the flint I lit the wick and then tossed two pitches of the grain over the scene, through the flames. Holding my hand over the fire I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself. “Zas'Kavai Xararas K'Ven D'Shiao Vas Ne'gaia Ul'Xanao” Uttering an incantation I lowered my hand and the flame began to devour the wax at an alarmingly rate. Flowing into the grooves of the symbol ground into the dirt.

Back to top Go down

Shane Mathis | Warlock; Necromancer

Posted on Tue May 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Shrouded in the sea of death, I latched on to one other stream apart from Kai and myself. Someone else was here, but I didn’t say a word. Kai had only asked me to point out the shadows, right? There wasn’t anything special about the presence, meaning as far as I could tell it was human. I’d been fooled before, there were workarounds, ways to hide. I didn’t rule it out as a possibility because I couldn’t imagine how a human could find their way here. Bad hunting trip? Whoever it was, they were good at hiding at least physically. There was no other way I would have known. My mind desperately searched for a way to alert the person that I knew, without alerting Kai. Why? A number of reasons. Almost more likely to stay hidden, not to interfere if they knew only one of us knew. Alerting both of us would put them on the defensive, thinking neither of us knew might put them on the offense. One? If it were me, I’d certainly stay put until I had reason to move.

Until I had the opening, I portrayed no sign of acknowledgment. Watch for shadows, cake. Although, I would admit to being too much of an amateur to help with anything else. I stepped closer, finding one of the carcasses and inspecting it myself, something about it making my heart race, something about the black drawing me in. I resisted the temptation but I made note of the fact that I was drawn to something that should have been repulsive. As repulsive as this place is, there are a few souls who linger here. Can you imagine something being drawn to this place? Maybe too subtle, depending on just how thick-skulled our company was, but I also knew Kai was a very intelligent man. It wasn’t the end of the world if he picked up on it.

The spells weren’t important to me, maybe they should have been. I couldn’t use them but it was possible I could pay someone to use them for me. I reminded myself to be nicer, warmer. I think if Edith herself didn’t know, she has connections. I’m sure you do too. Mental note - thank him for dragging my amateur ass out here. Something else to make my cold skin appear warm. Sometimes I hated that it took an effort. That it wasn’t my nature, at least not anymore. Even when I pursued Sofia, there were remnants left. I knew I’d miss them, but I also quickly realized they got in the way. I watched Kai, admittedly with a mild fascination, studying as if I was going to be able to recreate the spell myself. I needed a mentor, one who was more finely tuned than “Disco” had been. I did as requested, keeping my eyes, ears, “nose” ready to sense any of these shadows, although I knew it would be obvious once one was seen. I had an inkling that it was possible, if it did appear, I might have at least a mild amount of influence over it. It had to be dead, right?

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics