setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Unearthing the Past

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ruby Schaffer |

Posted on Mon May 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Thread Details
Local Cafe ⋅ Overcast ⋅ Late Evening

Outfit

Going to visit mia madre had been on my list of things to do for a while before I finally found the time to do it. We'd been close my entire life since she'd pretty much raised me entirely on her own. Growing up I hadn't known my father well, or even much about where he was. It wasn't that he'd abandoned me personally as much as that he and my mother had decided it was best to go their separate ways and leave the child-rearing to her. I'd asked questions here and there and my mother told me what I knew, but I'd never really met him or had any kind of relationship with him.

So here I was 26 years old and it was the first time that my mother mentioned any kind of family to me, and more than that. Family in Washington. Now that she mentioned it, I had some vague memories of some boys from when I was younger and my father hadn't left yet, but I'd nearly forgotten about them. One day my father and his side of the family had been there, and the next day they weren't.

After having this chat with mia madre, I'd gone home and put my skills to the test finding these boys, which wasn't hard given that I'd been told their names and actually vaguely remembered them after having the conversation, but still. I even got my hands on one of their numbers and sent a text to Vincent to see if he had an recollection of me or anything else.

Vincent Byrne
Yo, idk if you remember me, but I'm your cousin Ruby. If you have any interest in meeting a long-lost relative, meet me at the West Elkton Cafe around 7.
11:23 AM

It was short and maybe a little cryptic, but I hardly had time to waste with long rambling messages. In short, I was curious, and if he and our other cousin Logan were too then they would meet me and we could reconnect.

I arrived at the cafe and looked around, realizing that the boys wouldn't have any way to recognize me, since they hadn't seen me in years. I'd seen some photos online of Logan while I was researching them, but they wouldn't have any idea even if they did decide to show up. Finally I opted to order a quesadilla and find a table where I could watch the door and see one or both of them if they decided to come.

Back to top Go down

Re: [Private] Unearthing the Past

Vincent Sawyer Byrne | Wolf; Pack Master/Alpha

Posted on Tue May 09, 2017 11:22 am

Vin     Lolo

Logan had stopped off to rummage through the shit in the attic. I guess uncle Philip had given dad an old tobacco pipe... Or... Fuck I didn't know the story, and I honestly had no idea why Logan would want it anyway. He didn't smoke, and I hardly considered him sentimental. I didn't care, I hovered over him anyway. When we were kids he had a habit of taking my shit, and honestly, that hadn't changed. It wasn't that he was a klepto, he was just a dick, really. This is mine. He held up an old baseball, one I imagined had been signed by someone significant, but I couldn't remember who. I'd likely never know, too, since all the writing was faded and covered in brown splotches. Fuck off that's yours. Dad gave that to me when I was six. I took a drink from my beer and held out my hand, waiting for him to pass it over. No, idiot. Uncle John stole it from pop, who stole it from Uncle Milo. It's mine. I just laughed, what a moron. How the fuck does that make it yours? If anything, and I'm not saying this is true, because it's mine, but if anything that makes it dads, not yours. Fuck your name wasn't even mentioned in that line of thievery.

He stood up, crossing his arms with the ball still firmly gripped in his right hand. What I'm saying is, it was meant to be mine. And I'm takin' it. He leaned over to pick up his beer, and took a swig. Fuck you. My expression had shifted from casual to pissed in a second. I didn't even want the damn thing, it was about... Fuck it was about the principle of the matter! So I set down my beer and stepped forward, hand still extended. Hand it over. My hand shoved towards him further, and he just looked down at it, his eyes looking up towards mine as a big glob of spit started oozing out of his mouth. FUCK, he was just like he was when he was a kid. Spit in my hand and i'll slap you with it. He instantly slurped his spit back into his mouth and without hesitation shoved the ball down his pants. Fine, if you want it, get it yourself. My lip curled up in disgust and I recoiled. You're fuckin' sick. Fuck no I didn't want it anymore. Every Sunday basketball game would be tainted with the story of how I shoved my hand down his pants.

My phone had buzzed in my pocket, and as Logan went back to digging through the boxes, I pulled it out, my eyes still trying to watch over him to make sure he didn't jack anything else, and half scanning the message on my screen. Whoa... What? He asked, but didn't look up, he was holding up and examining an old busted snow globe. Fuck I didn't even know who that belonged to, I'd never seen it in my life. Look. I turned my phone around so he could read, and he snatched it right out of my hands. What the... Uncle Milo? Uncle Milo... This was a fuckin' trip. Should we go? Whatta you mean 'should we go', hell yeah we should go it's family. Unless it isn't. Fuck, maybe that was too pessimistic even for me. But considering dear old mom had contacted me recently, I couldn't help but feel skeptical. We're going. His tone sounded almost zombie like, and when I looked down I realized he was typing out a reply. I reached for my phone instinctively. There had been too many times when Logan had sent vile shit to randoms on my contacts list for me to allow him to send any messages on my behalf ever again. CHILL!

I struggled to pry it out of his grip, but it was too late, he'd already sent it... And it didn't even fucking make sense... You're an idiot. I started to type out a reply that made sense, but stopped. Fuck it.

Ruby Schaffer
We'll b3ee eet a
11:27 AM

We'd sat in the truck down the street, and not without Logan bitching in my ear about how stupid it was to ''case the place'' before going inside. He was right, to an extent. It was just a cafe, what did it matter? I just felt awkward about the whole thing. Meeting with an old family member is one thing, but this family member was practically a stranger. I barely remembered her from when we were kids... Just vague shit... Flashes of her exiting out our old screen door... Or napping on a couch I couldn't even remember where. With Logan it was different. We were raised together like brothers. Hell, even when he was living in Seaside and I was with mom and dad in Seattle, we still saw each other practically every weekend. We still spent every summer together... I mean, we had no fucking idea what this person was like...

Logan had decided to call Uncle Philip to get some information. I guess Phil hadn't talked to Milo in years, and I distinctly remembered dad saying something similar. Both Logan and myself believed something had happened to make them part ways. It was just weird. One day Uncle Milo was there, for family reunions, gettin' trashed with Phil and Dad, the next... We never heard from him again. And I didn't even get the feeling that he was dead... I just... They had a falling out, I think something big happened, and Milo wanted nothing to do with dad or Phil. Other than that, uncle Philip didn't know anything about this girl. He said that Milo did have a daughter named Ruby, but that was all he could confirm for us. Logan believed every word, he always believed everything Phil said. I, however, felt he was hiding something, but I didn't dare say it. Logan loved and respected his dad too much, almost to a fault. Phil could do no wrong in his eyes.

Damnit Vin, go already. Fuck it's not even about the girl right now, I just want something to drink. He started to open his door, as if he was just going to walk the rest of the way, but I started up my engine. Yes Miss Daisy. Anything else I can do for ya'? My fake accent was shit, but I got the point across...

As we neared the front door, I leaned in to speak quietly. Don't you find it a bit odd that she'd just so happen to be in Index? Logan swung open the door, and I caught it as he passed through, following closely behind his heels. Don't be so stupid. Coincidences happen. This is a good one too I don't know why you can't just chill out and take it for what it is. He smiled at people he locked eyes with as he spoke quietly, and I just rolled my eyes. How the fuck are we even supposed to know which one is her? I whispered... Easy. He smiled, and my eyes widened, fuck no don't you dare... RUBY?! IS THERE A RUBY IN THE HOUSE?! My face fell into my hands, this was already a fucking freak show.

Back to top Go down

Ruby Schaffer |

Posted on Fri May 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Vincent's nonsensical response had meant practically nothing to me. I was surprised that he even bothered to respond with that bullshit. I didn't even know him though. I'd forgotten he even existed and we hadn't exactly been best buds when we were younger. The same went for the other one, Logan. I'd found some general info about Vincent. Just the type of stuff that's available online: he worked in construction and all that. But fuck it, I was curious enough that it would be worth it even if they both turned out to be complete stronzi.

I saw Vincent walk through the door - he looked enough like his picture that it wasn't difficult, and the guy with him was probably Logan. I was about to call them over when Logan started shouting, completely unnecessarily in the middle of the cafe. I shook my head and waved a hand to get their attention, State zitti, I mumbled quietly enough that they wouldn't hear, and then, Over here, louder.

They were both darker complected than me, although we all had dark hair - that was the Byrne in me, since my mother's hair was naturally lighter and not as thick as mine. Vincent and Logan, yeah? I asked, looking between them. It's been a while.

It would be a lie to say I wasn't insanely curious about what had happened with our parents. My mom told me that my father, Milo, had pretty much stopped talking to theirs right around the time that we moved to Phoenix. Even when mio padre had been around, we hadn't been that close so it wasn't like I knew much about him in the first place. These guys wouldn't know anything about my father but they might know more about whatever went down to lead to my family moving to Phoenix. How's life? It wasn't so much that I cared deeply about their personal lives, but I was curious. Who were these guys? They were my family, I guess. Plus, pleasantries might lead to them trusting me more quickly.

Back to top Go down

Vincent Sawyer Byrne | Wolf; Pack Master/Alpha

Posted on Sun May 14, 2017 4:02 pm

There was a very serious thought sitting in the back of my mind. One I tried my best to ignore, but also brought light to my skepticism. The truth was, a part of me didn't want to meet this girl, for the very reason I didn't like talking to or even seeing uncle Phil. It was different with Logan. Yeah, we'd spent time with both dad and uncle Phil, but most of our time had been spent just the two of us, or with my friends, or with his. I associated Logan with random shit, like campfires and stupid childish pranks we used to play, and music. I didn't really associate him with things I didn't like to think about. This girl though... She was from our past. And all this meeting had done so far was remind me of dad, how he was gone, and nearly nothing else. We'd only been here for moments and it's all that I could think about.

I'd heard it, Logan likely hadn't, but I'd heard it. I didn't know what it meant, but it came from the same voice that answered Logan's call, and it came just before she'd answered. My eyes caught her before Logan's had, and I'd shoved past him, moving to sit across from her, and he followed. Wow, yeah, it's us. Is this a trip or what? Logan was the first to speak, but I just looked at her, my expression blank except for a barely noticeable twitch in my brows as I fought the tension that wanted push them down. This person may have shared my blood but that didn't mean she shared the bond of family. Did she even go by Byrne? Was she married? Did she have kids or contact with her father? Did she even remember uncle Philip or dad? Did she even know what happened to dad? What about my middle name? Did she know how I got stitches in my knee that time I scraped on the rusty metal of a car? Did she know how Logan had broken both legs that year he went sledding up on Cascade? No... She probably didn't know any of that. Those were things that family would know.

And it wasn't her fault. None of it was. I didn't hate her for it. But I also failed to see what had Logan grinning ear to ear and so eager to get to know her too. I couldn't even understand why she'd wanted to meet us in the first place, because just as I had stories, mental albums where her face was absent, she had the same thing, only Logan and I were missing from hers. Ha! That's an understatement. Logan laughed, still smiling at her like she was a plate of bacon and he hadn't eaten in months. Good, good. You remember my dad at all? He wanted to say hi, he even wanted me to give you his number just in case you ever ''wanna catch up''. But really how are you? Married? Kids? Where are you livin' now? It was easy to see he was happy a fuck over this whole twisted situation, and I just sat back and let him talk, my eyes glued to her the entire time. It wasn't like we used to drink beers with this girl. It wasn't like we had a secret fucking hideout in the woods and she knew the secret password. He didn't give a fuck if she was married. He didn't give a fuck if she had kids. And he surely didn't give a fuck where she was living. Neither of them were asking the right questions, and I'd already had enough.

Why'd you contact us? I asked bluntly, but the question was far more valid than the others that had been exchanged. I wanted to know. If she was just curious, fine. If she wanted to be an actual involved member of the family, we'll see. If she wanted something more, no fucking way in hell. For all I knew she was addicted to pills and thought hitting up her long lost relatives was a way of borrowing money from what little family she had left that was willing to loan it. And it wasn't pessimistic, it was realistic is what it was. Someone here needed to be the voice of reason, and I had no problem stepping up to the plate.

Back to top Go down

Ruby Schaffer |

Posted on Sun May 21, 2017 7:28 pm

The Byrne boys were like fire and ice. Logan was so enthusiastic and carefree, shouting in the middle of the restaurant, eager to ask me about my life. Vincent, on the other hand, was much more reserved, almost emotionless. The truth was, both made me wary. I had this sense of emptiness. What did it mean for them to be my family? The only family I'd ever really had was my mother. My connection to these men was my father, and that was mere blood. If I weren't related to them, I wouldn't have given them the time of day. It was that simple. Yet here we were - sitting in a cafe, trying to act like old friends.

I gave Logan a simple smile, No, nothing like that. I'm actually living here in Index. My eyes flitted to Vincent, who was still silently watching me. I understood his behavior better than Logan's. It was hard for me to be as happy and friendly around complete strangers like Logan was. My instinct was to observe and wait to decide what kind of person they were before putting time and effort into befriending them. With the Byrnes it almost felt like we were obligated to be best buds when they could be stronzi.

Honestly, I don't remember much about my father's brothers at all, I gave an apologetic smile. I was younger than both by a few years. I'd been in grade school when my mom and I had moved to Phoenix. My eyes flipped back to Vincent once again when he finally spoke. My mother, actually, encouraged me to meet you. My memories of you were vague at best, but I was curious about my father and she said that the closest connection she could find was his brothers and you. Why did I care about mia padre at all? I asked myself often, whenever I was putting time and effort into finding him and coming up empty handed. What happened to him? People don't just disappear.

I leaned forward. Vincent wasn't as open as Logan, so I focused my efforts on the latter, What about you guys? What's the story? You married?

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics