setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Open-2] Shadow of a Doubt - Page 2

[Open-2] Shadow of a Doubt

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Open-2] Shadow of a Doubt

Daphne Collins | Witch; Necromancer

Posted on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:25 pm

I paused for a moment at Kai's explanation that wasn't. I wasn't sure what his response was supposed to mean. It was a simple dress, hardly very different from my usual outfits. You don't like it because it's shadowy? I asked, confused. My eyebrow quirked once he continued, Oh... thank you, I said. I was rather surprised at the compliment. Not that Kai didn't seem like the type who would compliment someone, but rather that it seemed sincere. I'd been complimented once before by a warlock who had been trying to manipulate me, although I hadn't known it at the time. Later, Joel hadn't bothered to compliment me at all but treated me as a child instead. I'd changed a lot since I'd known either of them. I was not overly flattered at Kai's compliment, but I wasn't unhappy to receive it. It seemed genuine and I didn't mind being told that I was wearing a pretty dress if there were no ulterior motives for the compliment.

I'm led to believe that a shadow person has already attached itself to each one of us. The information regarding how they gain power was a bit murky, unfortunately. My mother was a challenge to work with. She told me that they could use psychological means to attack their hosts, but wasn't inclined to explain to me how to rid myself of mine. She was convinced that I should try to enslave it and use it as some kind of familiar. You're a necromancer, Daphne. Use your power, was all she would say on that matter.

The best I can ascertain for now is that we need to find a way to close our minds to the attacks of the shadow people, whatever those attacks may entail, it can't be good. Beyond that... I'm not sure. I wasn't omniscient, clearly. I'd hardly known myself to be a witch until recently. I'd been working to catch up knowledge-wise with someone of Kai's calibre, but it was a challenge. My mother's guidance was helpful and a pain as well, since we often reached disagreements regarding how my power should be used and such. My mother was a without a doubt a deceptive woman. I never for a moment believed that she cared about me, although she asked me to call her mother. I went along with her whims to placate her, but our relationship was hardly that of a parent and child. I felt the need to keep her on a short leash, but she felt the same about me.

The fact that you see yours and that it interacts with the corporal world worries me. It could be a sign that it's becoming powerful. I've seen what I believe to be my own, but I am sometimes able to protect myself from it using an old necro spell that I learned. The spell had also been taught to me by my mother. It didn't really hurt the shadow person, but bound it during a discrete amount of time and gave me time to protect myself from its plans.

Back to top Go down

Malakai Greenmantle III | Warlock; Elementalist

Posted on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:44 am

The topic of her dress needed to be one that was left and forgotten but I had been finding it difficult to concentrate on what should be more important. It wasn’t unheard of to find myself torn, dragged between usually my everyday mundane human workplace and that of my personal business but I’d never really experienced a fixation that had nothing to do with my work. Michelle invaded my thoughts on a regular basis and I had at least stopped myself from constantly messaging her. Resorting to looking through her Facebook page to the point I had now committed everything there was on display to memory. Daphne’s dress just reminded me of her. Had heat rising on the back of my neck at the very thought. I’d been reading over fire based spells, telling myself that it was all due to the fact researching my current problem brought with it freak accidents. It was that and it was also due to the owner of the Mad Platter Music Store. “You’re welcome.” Was scary in fact that I could let my mind run away with me. Into two very different corners. I needed some sleep. A stiff drink maybe and a strait jacket. Spending time with a Necromancer was definitely not medication for whatever ailed me.

“You too then.” A sick part of me that I didn’t really want to acknowledge was almost delighted that she was suffering the same as I. Seeing it as some form of retribution. Using her as a replacement for the Necromancers I would gladly weld together with malevolent spirits. A much larger far more dominant part of myself was horrified that Daphne had been inflicted with the same disease and having it all be because of my actions. I’d already forced myself to accept that I was going to need her help when it came to the Tree, somehow cleansing the forest and getting rid of whatever was following me. Now I was going to have to stomach and fix the fact she was haunted too. Removing the spell book from under my arm, I gripped it with both hands. Anger was not an emotion I liked to express. At least not in the company of others. It displayed a lack of control and everything about me was tailored to appear as if I was effortless in my actions. “Normally I’m a sucker for a little mystery. I like not knowing everything about something…but this…” I’d started questioning everything in fact.

“Energy barriers….Psychic shields…” Thinking out loud, my fingers pressed into the leather binding of the spell book trying to think of what volumes I had upstairs that could help. I’d used such spells for others more times than I could count but given the current situation, my company, everything that I had been thinking about and the fact I needed much more sleep than I was currently running on, details eluded me without the volumes being right in front of me. When she uttered the statement about being able to protect herself from her own shadow, I think I just lost it. Tossing the spellbook across the room it came in contact with a Native American display knocking several carefully arranged spears and other various hunting tools to the floor in a hail of noise. Had to at least be thankful the glass hadn’t been erected in that particular section of the exhibit yet. “So I’m a sitting duck because I’m not a bloody Necro, that’s just great.” Running both hands with furious frustration through my hair, I actually grabbed at the ends, pulling on the strands. “I’m glad, really relieved that you can keep yours off you.” I was. It made me feel useless but at least it was somewhat of a comfort that she could protect herself.

Standing around here wasn’t getting anything done, though the mostly complete exhibition did make me feel calmer than walking throughout the rest of the Museum. All of it was just a reminder of how out of character I was. Scatter-brained and stressed, even though pressure had always been something I had been able to feed positively from. “I have an occult library upstairs, I intend on properly organising everything and opening it to those that can benefit from it.” Strictly referring to those of species beyond human. The door had some haphazardly erected seals to keep humans out, though they would need to be properly addressed at a late date. Along with several others. “Maybe we can find something there that will help us both.” As I began walking past her, I automatically reached out an arm to sweep about her waist. I caught myself before my hand had completely found purchase on the small of her back. “Sorry….my mind is…well I guess you can imagine..” Flustered I gestured to the door shaking my head at myself. Ascending the stairs to the second floor.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon May 08, 2017 5:15 pm

It took me a moment to shake off the conversation about my dress. I cared about my appearance and how I presented myself enough to wonder about the meaning of Kai's reaction. I'd gone through a number of phases in my dress, and I now opted to dress myself in more mature options to combat my childlike appearance. This dress was definitely not childlike, and it perhaps wasn't "conventional". Still, it was hardly shocking. It could be that its colour and sweeping nature had reminded him of what I was - a necromancer. The nature of our interactions had definitely changed since he'd realized that I was a necromancer, and this would just be another example of how that had happened.

I don't like this any more than you do, but I must say that I do think that I'm at a bit of an advantage here. These beings - I believe that their nature is closely related to that of death, which he feared in the way most people did, It is psychological as well as physical. As a necromancer, I have a deeper understanding of their nature and more of my magic is effective against them. I cannot guarantee the same for you, although your fire certainly seems to be somewhat effective in combating them. My observations were just that: observations. I hoped that Kai wouldn't take them to mean that I thought I was superior or be angry because of his prejudices against necromancers.

A library? Excellent, I said, glad that he was trusting me enough to make his resources available to me. We'd come to have a certain measure of trust for sure, but in this community there was sometimes a withholding of information that could be otherwise invaluable. I nodded in understanding at his explanation, although I wasn't bothered by his gesture. It was one of a familiarity that we didn't share, sure, but I also understood that there was a certain need for trust and understanding since we would essentially be going to battle against the shadow people. If we were to be allies then we could hardly tip toe around each other all the time.

I followed him up the steps to the second floor and towards the library. I'm actually rather curious about the origins of your library. Did you inherit books from your family or collect them some other way?

Back to top Go down

Malakai Greenmantle III | Warlock; Elementalist

Posted on Tue May 09, 2017 2:45 am

That word. Death. It might as well be drawn on her forehead with a magic marker. I saw it whenever I looked at her regardless. It was a cliché that someone like myself whose core magic sat firmly in the realm of life would feel uncomfortable around their polar opposite. I think I would have been fine with just being a stereotype if that’s all it was. Unfortunately it wasn’t. There was something rigid and icy about her that just made it more difficult to ignore. How different we were. Normally if she hadn’t been a Necromancer I would have seen that as an invitation. A challenge of sorts. To get her to loosen up. Might make all of this easier to handle but while I’d tried in the forest, I had run out of happy pills. Didn’t have any to spare to share with her. I could hear arrogance in her voice even if she hadn’t been intending there to be any. “Fire isn’t my speciality.” I said it loud enough for her to hear but directed the statement to the stairwell as I ascended. Guess it would give me another excuse to research fire spells. I could say it was to fight to shadow people as well as control it enough that I could sleep with Michelle. Another excuse.

“What really has me puzzled is why I can see it down there.” I gestured back down towards the main lobby while now standing on the landing of the upper floor. “But up here….I know it’s still watching me. I can feel it breathing down my neck.” Not literally of course. The fine hairs on the back of my neck felt electric. Always felt like I had goose bumps. That unnerving sense of someone being in an empty room. “I can’t see it though.” Had been surprised I could see it at all. In the forest they had been invisiable. I’d had to directly rely on Daphne’s eyes. Upstairs I was going to have to do the same. “It can still throw things at me.” Approaching the door to the restricted section I waved a hand over the unseen ward letting it register my energy. Right now the magical door lock was simple. Only those that exhibited Supernatural energy could open it. I’d roughly erected the sigil so it did require the hand gesture before it would allow anyone to enter. Once I had time and motivation I would cast something more secure and less bothersome.

“Some are from the Greenmantle coven. Others I have purchased, been given. Few are from this Museums own collection.”
I remember how keen she had appeared when the topic of research had arisen. At least there was some common ground to be venture onto there. I did love books. Just as much as I loved technology and all the applications and video games it had to offer. “I actually convinced my Father to send me the family grimoire, hoping it might have something in the pages that might help.” No luck there. Though I was going to need it’s more complicated protection wards to properly transform the Museum into what I wanted it to be. “Feel free to browse, theres a catalogue…not a very complete one but one none the less.” Giving her a smile I pointed to an ipad resting on top of a stack of volumes. None of which had been sorted. “There’s spell books a plenty. Even a few grimoires from long lost covens. Paid an arm and a leg for those. So far I've found nothing containing any Necromancy vibes.” Had none in my personal collection. I hadn't sifted through everything here however.

“Catalogue…” I mumbled to myself pulling out my phone and bringing up my inventory spreadsheets. I hadn’t thought too hard as to why the lobby was different to every other section of the Museum. Why that space and one of the storage rooms were the only places I had seen my shadow person. Hadn’t occurred to me until I’d pointed out that the library would eventually have a reference system categorizing all the books and their various contents, that I already had one for the items being shipped in. The very objects that sat downstairs. “Have this image in my head of an archive spell that’s voice activated and can be used in any part of the library. Say a keyword and just like in sci fi movies a little floating menu floats in your face.” Was a bit of a fantasy. There were a bunch of spells that were similar to what I wanted but none that hit all the right notes. Re-writing and combining spells was not a skill of mine. I knew it could be done. I’d just never done it myself.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Fri May 12, 2017 5:29 pm

I paused at his statement. I hadn't realized that fire wasn't Kai's specialty, and it threw a bit of a wrench in my plan. So what is? Of the elemental magics, fire had seemed to be the best against the shadow people because of how completely opposite to their nature it was. How would they interact with other elemental magics? Anything was better than nothing for sure.

I finally made it to the top of the stairs and looked down to where Kai indicated. That is strange... I said, peering down at the lobby with interest. I looked around, wondering if I could see anything - the presence that Kai felt even if he couldn't see it, but I didn't see anything. Was it because it was linked to Kai? Or was it simply not visible at that moment? It wouldn't be crazy to assume that these were not completely corporeal so it was entirely possible that it could turn itself invisible. Maybe it was simply in another room. There were a million possible explanations and every single one raised several more questions. It bothered me how little we really knew about these things and how to deal with them.

I followed him into the library and looked around, impressed. Maybe it wasn't difficult to impress me since I hadn't had access to many books of this sort before. I can't imagine the wealth of knowledge that the Greenmantle grimoire would contain, I mused. I was maybe a little surprised that there was nothing that involved necromancy in the library. Kai traded in supernatural items but still stayed far away from anything even remotely related to necromancy. Was it a product of his dislike for the magic or was there really so little literature that dealt with the subject? Sure necromancy was taboo, but I couldn't imagine that that would completely halt the creation of books detailing these types of things. Even non-necromancers had something to gain from knowing about the shadow people for situations exactly like this one.

My own collection is rather.. lacking to be honest. Unfortunately,  I was raised by an adoptive family with no supernatural connections at all, so there is no family grimoire for me to use, from what I knew about my real parents, there should've been one. My mother would never even consider allowing me access to a grimoire and probably kept her family's hidden far away from here. But my father's? He was dead, but supposedly from a powerful family as well.

I looked around once again as he spoke about his ideas, Once you have this place ready, it could be quite useful to supers in this area, I considered the implications of what I'd been learning about Index. The presence of the ley lines and the many supernaturals that seemed to congregate here, combined with a large variety of resources available to these kinds of people... Index was really becoming a hub of supernatural activity.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics