setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Open-2] Shadow of a Doubt

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Malakai Greenmantle III | Warlock; Elementalist

Posted on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:20 am

Thread Details
Index-Pickett Historical Museum | Cold and Cloudy | 4pm

Daphne is one of the characters required for this thread. However, the doorman will allow anyone in the building because Kai hasn't specified how many people to expect. Kai himself is in the Native American exhibit but will get texted by the security guard when someone arrives. The Museum entrance is filled with packing crates, boxes and evidence of tradesman having been at work.

Sitting in between two shelves, cross-legged on the floor, surrounded in stacks of books. A few open on random pages, abandoned when they didn’t reveal what I was looking for within the first ten minutes of my eyes running through the pages. That had been me, for the better part of a day. Nothing was remotely complete either downstairs or up but I couldn’t slave drive the tradesman to work seven days a week. That and I had been sure I hadn’t been getting enough sleep. So sure until I had scheduled a solid block of the stuff and yet still saw the shadow people. Or more specifically person. At first it had been late at night when I had been packing away exhibits that I intended to store away rather than keep on display. Out of the corner of my eye, in my peripheral vision, I would see something move amongst the crates. Of course originally I’d thought it had just been my imagination running rampant but when I sat there and consciously observed it. It remained, it didn’t disappear. It was really actually there. First it had just been a figure that would walk between shelving, hide behind cases and peek out with no eyes. Then came the gestures. The shadow would beckon to me in a childlike familiar way that I couldn’t rightly place. It wasn’t tall. It stood about as high as a ten-year-old and looked vaguely male. If gender was a thing a spectral black shade could have.

When I kept seeing this thing that would retreat whenever I tried to look directly at it, I had decided that sleep was the answer. It hadn’t been. Not at all. After a good dose of rest my more alert state appeared to energize the haunting. Before it had stuck to creeping up on me during the evening hours. Using lamp light as it’s source of contrast. However now it followed me during the day. As anyone could imagine, always feeling as if something was lingering behind every packing container made doing business very interesting. What had ultimately caused me to give up actually working on the Museum and concentrating on research about the weird white tree was the fact the shadow hadn’t stayed a shadow.

Oh it was still black but now it looked like it had features. Wasn’t just a silhouette, a pop-up book cut out made from smoky moving construction paper. Three dimensional. And it allowed me to look at it for a moment, straight at it, before it would slip back into the void. Scared the hell out of me because it was an indication that I wasn’t hallucinating. It wasn’t residual guilt from what had happened in the forest that had me thinking I was being tracked by a shadow person. I was actually being stalked by one. It had come with me from that necrotic circle.

Getting my Father to send me the Greenmantle family grimoire had been my first phone call after arriving home after that day with Daphne. He had been reluctant but had send it, the transfer taking around three days. I’d tried to find any information about Necromancy within its pages but I found when I came to the section where I had thought that subject would have been covered, I found several pages had been torn from the binding. Our family’s hatred for their kind ran so deep that any evidence of our bloodline having connections to that form of magic was removed. Desecrating our own tome in the process.

Resting a Native American myth and legends book in my lap I hadn’t found any links to the Indians who had once occupied Index. I had screeds of information on them and when looking at the history of the region it had been my first stop. Most of their folklore tales spoke of Ogress and the usual tales about coyote, crows and other birds. Other tribes had caught my attention while I had flicked through the book though. Just because the natives of this region hadn’t had stories survive the test of time didn’t mean there hadn’t been some at one point.

The Choctow a Native American tribe which was originally located in the states of Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana have many stories of shadow beings. Nalusa Chito, also known as Impa Shilup, was the soul-eater. If people allowed evil thoughts or depression to enter their minds, it would creep inside them and eat their soul.

As I read over the sentence there was a scraping sound above me. Slowly looking up I managed to scramble to the side just in time as heavy volumes precariously perched on the shelving above me came cascading down right where I had been sitting. Normally I would have cursed myself for not following health and safety procedures, but stuff like that had been happening on and off since I’d started looking for answers. Finally having had enough I grabbed my phone out of my pocket to text Daphne. 

DAPHNE
I need to know. Though also don’t want to. Have you been seeing things? I’m at the Index-Pickett Historical Museum. The security guard will let you in. I’ll be here all day/night. Something is following me. 
0:00 PM

Back to top Go down

Re: [Open-2] Shadow of a Doubt

Daphne Collins | Witch; Necromancer

Posted on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:29 pm

Context | Outfit + Doc Martens

The moment I received Kai's text, I'd decided that it warranted a visit to the museum to discuss in person. The subject of the tree had already caused a pretty good amount of strife between my mother and I. She'd advised me against pursuing the topic any further, but I couldn't let it go. Just the memory of that tree made me feel slightly sick. It felt unnatural and wrong. My choice to dedicate myself to Hel rather than Ganesha did not sit well with her, as she saw it as a betrayal of my heritage.

She'd been willing enough to explain to me the idea of the shadow people, but I hadn't imagined that one might be following me until bad things started happening every time I tried to research more into the subject. At first I'd attributed it simply to the negativity energy that had been flowing from the tree, a bit of bad luck and nothing more. As it happened more I thought my mother might've been trying to scare me. We were both hot headed at times enough that I wouldn't have put it past her. When I got Kai's text, the pieces fell into place. In fact, a mere hours after I received it, I was nearly crushed by a falling tree branch.

It was late afternoon before I was able to get away and head to the museum. I swept into the building, well, as well as one can sweep into any place when they have to be let in by a security guard. The thick soles of my boots added a nice couple of centimeters to my height and the feeling of power that my increased height gave me added to the sense of urgency that I no doubt carried as I made my way quickly to the wing of the museum which the guard had indicated Kai was in.

The museum looked drastically different from the last time I'd been there, which had unsurprisingly, also been to meet with a fellow warlock. The exhibits were still under construction, but many of the fixtures had already been updated, giving the whole place an all-around more modern and fresh appearance than the antiquated dusty old place that resided in my memories.

My pace increased when I saw him, Kai, I said by way of greeting. We need to talk, I've been doing some research and I'm not sure I like what I've been finding, I said, getting straight to the point.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:25 am

Keeping myself moving was key. Harder to a hit a moving target. Didn’t really want to consider any of the ancient display items being used as a projectile since some of them had metal implements attached but it was a clear possibility. Making sure my feet traveled from exhibit to exhibit while I carried a book in my hands also meant that I couldn’t give myself a chance to see it again. It didn’t eliminate that sensation of being watched. A subliminal hum behind the silence of every room.

Since researching shadow people of any description appeared to get the specter following me angry, I had opted for literature was obviously not for that purpose. Cendrillion a leather bound tomb from my private collection sat cradled in my arms, my fingers stroking the edge of the thick parchment page I was on. Studying to extend the control on my secondary element had been very low on my list of priorities before but now there were two reasons to gather motivation. I’d gotten completely transfixed by a spell called Sunbyrd, in which the caster produced a semi-sentient Avian companion from their core. My eyes had devoured every word. A way to remove the source of my Magick for a short time period and have it flap around while I…So I actually should be looking at combat spells but no, I was thinking about how I was going to sleep with Michelle. Twisted priorities.

I’d gotten to the end of the page before I realized I didn’t even remotely have the control to be able to accomplish the first step of the cast. Sighing heavily I dumped the book down and for the first time in hours, stopped walking. The Skykomish Indian exhibition was the most complete. As per every Native American museum display, there were black and white photographs of strong looking tribal chieftains. Various pieces of weaponry and hunting tools, items of clothing and artworks.

As my fingers ran over a whale branded into a wooden plaque, the symbol of the tribal community that now included the decedent's from this region, my walkie-talkie crackled. Made me feel like a kid using these things. Jerome the security guard just preferred to stick to the tested and true. “Sending through a pretty girl Mr Greenmantle.” Chuckling I lifted the black box to my lips. “It’s not like that Jerome, and I told you to call me Kai.” “Didn’t say a word and I’m not goin’ to do that Mr Greenmantle.” Always so formal.

As her small frame rounded the corner even before I had lowered the walkie-talkie and my mouth dropped open. Had first met Michelle in a very similar long black dress but that wasn’t what struck me first. Black flowing anything didn’t have the same connotations that it had before. “Really don’t like the sound of that but at least you’ve found something.” All I had was myths told by Indians throughout the Americas. Which was about as useful as a Necromancer dressed like she was attending a funeral. “Jesus Daphne, couldn’t you have worn something that wasn’t….” My voice drifted off and while one hand put the walkie talkie down upon the closed spell book I had been reading, the other pushed through my blonde hair.

Back to top Go down

Daphne Collins | Witch; Necromancer

Posted on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:49 pm

I crossed my arms as I came to a halt in front of Kai. I looked around at the Native American exhibit, which was surprisingly complete in comparison with what I had seen of the rest of the museum. I suppose that wasn't very surprising, considering the strong history of the region. I'd not been familiar with tribal history at all until my own move to Index.

At his words I frowned and looked down at my own outfit. What? What's wrong with my dress? Maybe it was that it was black. I used to avoid the color when I'd tried to hid my albinism, since the darkness made my pale skin stand out all the more, but I'd come to value it. I felt connected to it, since it was a symbol of both power and death - things I'd come to accept and value in their own right. Still, my own love for color sometimes came off as strange to some people, although I thought that Kai might understand since he knew what I was.

I'm not sure what you've seen or surmised, but I believe that what I saw in the forest and several times since are shadow people, although the name is hardly helpful considering it was obvious to me from the moment I saw them that they were some kind of people and seemed to be made of shadows, I paused in my explanation, to give Kai a chance to comment and because I was curious about what his experiences. I'd thought originally that we'd been able to fight the shadow people off, but after several quick brushes with death I finally saw one. What vexed me was that in the forest I'd been able to see them and Kai had not, yet his message mentioned that he'd been seeing things. From what I'd heard from my mother, this was a bad sign. My connection with death made it hard for the shadow person to make any physical advances towards me, but Kai didn't have that same connection.

The problem is, each shadow person can sometimes attach themselves to a living person with whom it has come into contact. They can become quite powerful under the proper circumstances, I continued. Most of my information came from my mother, who was familiar with the shadow people both as they appeared as Vetala in Hindu mythology and through experience. The mythology wasn't completely right, she'd said, they attach themselves to the living, not the dead.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:57 am

“Shadowy.” Great use of the thesaurus Kai old chap. Never before had a dress of all things put me on edge. If it had just been due to the color I might have been able to shrug off the uncomfortable sensation. Even though I was now aware she wasn’t as juvenile as she appeared, having my eyes dragged to bare pale skin that contrasted against the fabric made me feel awkward. Like some old man claiming to be picking up his niece while sitting outside the local high school. “Aside from that, it’s…” Expensive education, don’t fail me now. “…pretty.” Nope. Lack of a regular sleep pattern had removed any articulation I’d possessed. Chuckling at myself I attempted to redirect the conversation onto what was more important.

Had to grin at her statement of the obvious. Shadow People had literally been the only information I had been working with. Googling white trees had just sent me on a botanist’s journey through bark comparisons. The problem with having such a child’s nightmare term as a base for research is that what was available had to be heavily filtered. Time not being of the essence I hated to admit it again but I needed Daphne’s help. Two pairs of eyes were better than one when trying to find the right needle in a stack of similar metal implements.

That smile quickly dissolved when Daphne continued, however. Rubbing my chin I let out a long sigh. “Any idea what proper circumstances should be avoided? I’ve discovered on my own that my traveler doesn’t particularly like me reading anything that remotely has to do with entities related to shadows.” The more I searched, the more corporal the uninvited guest became. Which stood to reason that this was going to get worse before it got any better.

“Have you seen one? Outside of that place I mean.” My mistake was something I could live with if it was only myself that had been affected. Sure I wasn’t deliriously happy about having a spectral creature attached to me. Especially when I was sure getting rid of it fell more into her realm of expertise than mine. Putting the walkie talkie into the back pocket of my pants, having to really shove the brick in, I also shut the spell book closed, tucking it under my arm.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics