setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Come Settle Down - Page 4

[Private] Come Settle Down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Private] Come Settle Down

Laurel Davis | Human; Citizen

Posted on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:44 pm

I could almost hear the screeching of the brakes that Logan and I were both throwing on. Saying that I would remember him in fifty years seemed like admitting too much. You don't remember mediocrity. I wouldn't remember some guy that I ran into the hospital or even an average date, but this didn't seem like an average date. I wouldn't say that out loud though, even though I basically just had. That was why I was trying to step back a little, at least get to know him before my feelings spiraled out of control.

I looked at him curiously, You seem to think you have me all figured out, and yet I feel like I know nothing about you. It was strange to think that I did want to know him. It wasn't in a creepy way as much as he'd become a mystery to me. His love for music was something that we had in common, but people from all sorts of backgrounds and ways of life loved music. It didn't really tell me anything about him except that he had good taste. Tell me about yourself. When did you start playing? I felt that this was a good place to start, since I would learn a little of his history without getting too personal.

Still, firefighter by day and cellist by night? I wouldn't have guessed it, I said with a laugh. I honestly wouldn't have figured him for a cellist at all just by looking at him, which was probably a bit unfair. Clearly it was possible to be a cut firefighter and a cellist who loves classical music simultaneously.

Between the job and the music, there's not a lot of time left for other hobbies, I guess. I read a little here and there. What about you? I was starting to sound like some kind of a loner. I did plenty of social things, just not necessarily things that I enjoyed. If I had a night off on a weekend, I would go out for drinks with my friends. My parents had no end to the social engagements which they invited me to. I was obligated to attend for a number of reasons, but they grew rather boring after a while. They were also incessantly trying to set me up with other successful men who were oftentimes nice but it was hard to start a relationship with any of them purely because of the principle of the thing.

I tried to picture my parents meeting Logan. A firefighter was hardly their ideal profession for one of my dates but he was quite charming, and if he really started playing professionally they would no doubt like that since they were both major patrons of the arts. As a teenager I'd attended a number of musical performances with them, and they'd paid for a number of trips to see performances in New York while I was there as well, no doubt hoping I'd meet an eligible bachelor while there.

Back to top Go down

Logan Milo Byrne | Human; Citizen

Posted on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:09 pm

You can't possibly find every woman attractive. I couldn't remember who'd said it. But it was a damn shame they were so closed minded. Don't get me wrong, there wasn't much to love in women that sported thicker mustaches than I could grow in a months time. And there definitely wasn't much excitement for the clingy nut jobs either. I was drawn to the physical first, sure. But if I was forced between a psycho model and a chubster with a college degree, I'd fuck the model but get to know the thick chick. I didn't mind cushion. But was it so wrong to want it all? No, I didn't see myself getting married, ever. And if history proved anything, I definitely found most women boring after a couple of months. It wasn't like I hadn't loved before, I had, and it was entirely possible to even if a relationship didn't last longer than a few weeks. I guess the point was... I found Laurel fucking sexy as hell. She had looks, brains, a passion for music, and hopefully the skill to match. She almost had it all, but there was one thing missing. One thing I hoped was buried in there somewhere. I didn't hope this for myself, I hoped it for her. I wanted to get to know her better, but if she didn't have that one thing... Let's just say I'd be defaulting back to my bedding goals.

There's not much to know, Laurel. I smiled, but I knew it was time. There was a difference between maintaining mystery while making her life feel more important, and not saying a damn thing to the point of frustration. I'd throw her a bone. I was eight when I held my first bow. Home schooled by a military father. If I couldn't bounce a quarter off of my made bed in the morning, everything would come off and I'd have to start again. My education was equally demanding, including music. I started my first job at the age of ten, working for my pops lumber company. I moved to Seattle for a really great job when I was old enough to leave home. I don't believe in the word "friend", my friends are my family. Fun and laughter are a priority, alongside my new life goal to live life to the fullest because I'd rather live a short but full life instead of a long empty one. The best and worst thing that ever happened to me lead me to this really awesome woman, she's a doctor, maybe you know her? She's really smart, gorgeous, a dream, actually. And that brings us to now. I wasn't exactly known to take shit slow. Which was usually because I had one goal in mind with women, and I went to extremes in both lies and gestures to make sure I got what I wanted. It wasn't like I didn't love any of them, there was just a big difference between loving someone and loving someone. I loved a cold beer while grilling. I loved a four A.M. jog. I loved my bros. But there wasn't much I loved, never had been, and probably never would be again. Not after Penny.

I laughed, Yeah, I guess they don't really sound like they fit together, do they? Makes me curious, what pieces of Laurel are going to surprise me? Doctor by day, sex kitten by night. Yes, fuck yes. We're gonna have to change that Laurel. You'd be amazed at what kind of fun hobbies and shenanigans you can get into and accomplish in ten minutes. So yeah, as I said, sexy as hell, smart, passion for music, but that last little thing stood in the way. I just didn't feel like she was living at all. Maybe seeing her play would help her come to life in my eyes. Or maybe she just needed someone to set her free. I'd figure it out eventually. As for me... I do a lot with music, composing and mixing, for myself mostly. I like being outdoors, and exercise, so I usually pair those together. I'm into cars. Oh and on the weekends I pick up on my care providers. 'Took out my dentist last week. I joked, leaning back in my chair as Mary-Anne dropped my phone off, onto the table as she passed by. So I have a big question for you, actually... I scooted in, What made you want to become a doctor?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Logan constantly acted like there was nothing to know about him, and I had to admit, it made me crazy. I asked him about himself, and he gave me the most abridged version of his life story possible. I'd gathered that his father was extremely strict, and that he'd had a very serious music education which kind of answered my original question about the origins of music in his life. The truth was, music affected every person in a different way. For me it had been a representative of the state of my life throughout the years. Both a supportive friend and a difficult reminder. I could tell that Logan had passion both for life and for music. Sometimes when we talked I saw that passion, and sometimes I felt like I only saw and heard exactly what Logan wanted me to hear - what he thought I would like. It made sense, I wasn't exactly sharing the bad stuff about myself either, but it made it hard to feel like I was really getting to know him and made me more and more curious.

Logan was joking, but the truth was most of my hobbies were boring. I didn't do anything as exciting as fight fires. Maybe I was one-dimensional if my main hobby was music. It wasn't like I was a hermit or anything - I had friends, and I went out with them. I exercised but didn't consider it a hobby as much as something I did to stay healthy. Nobody wanted medical advice from an overweight doctor. I've dabbled a little in composing, but never anything serious, and well... I have a car? I laughed. I knew nothing about cars at all. I loved my car, it was fun to drive and all, but when it came to maintenance I took it to the shop. I could change a tire, but that was it. I guess I do like being outside, but I don't consider myself outdoorsy. He would probably laugh me off for that one. The truth was, my parents weren't big outdoorsmen. My dad in general wasn't really the typical dad type that took his kids camping or taught them how to do handy stuff. My mom had been the primary caregiver and her idea of the task of the mother was to raise a debutante. Not that I'd ever actually been a debutante. If you get enough DUI's they don't let you do cotillion anymore, I guess.

I made a face of mock fear. Oh no, everybody knows that dentists are tough competition, I said with a serious expression, and then I smiled. Kathryn from oncology was going to have a field day with this, and I knew she would figure it out the moment he changed doctors.

I froze up when he asked me why I'd become a doctor. It wasn't a question that I was asked a lot, at least not when someone expected a serious answer. Mostly they assumed it was for the money or the prestige or because I was "good". My dad was a doctor so that must be why I was a doctor. Logan wasn't just making small talk though, he actually wanted to know. I couldn't believe that someone who "doesn't believe in friends" would think that any of the reasons I'd given before were good enough, but I didn't really want to dump my life's story on him. He hadn't exactly told me every last detail of his. Uh, well, that is a pretty big question actually, I paused to think a little longer.

Basically, when I was around eighteen or nineteen, a friend of mine died. It made me realize that I didn't really like who I was. I knew I could do better. Really I just wanted to help people like her, and my father's a doctor. It was the best choice for me at the time. I was satisfied with this shortened version of the story. It was true, but it didn't reveal the gory details of my life to someone that I liked but didn't really know.

Back to top Go down

Logan Milo Byrne | Human; Citizen

Posted on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:31 am

Life pre-Jude felt like a lifetime ago. But I found myself in moments like these when I wanted a mental reset. Was there some way to erase an entire section from your memory? It was a strange feeling, really. I'd been pretty damn content with my good and bad memories up until now. But something about the Jude thing had changed me. My personality wasn't the same. I could tell, and I hated it. The old version of me, the version I liked, the version that felt like home... He wouldn't have thought for a second about the person behind the hot body. He would have faked it like a boss, but it wouldn't have been as genuine as it was now. Maybe it wasn't Jude, maybe I was just getting old. Maybe human traditions were more real than people wanted to admit, and I was hitting ''marriage'' age and was unknowingly looking for a wifey. Fuck that sounded like a nightmare.

Let me ask you this... I smiled, but my tone had set the conversation to a more serious level. And when I leaned in, arms crossed over the table so I could at least try to make this seem like a more private and intimate conversation, I looked her right in her eyes. When was the last time you hopped in that car of yours, put on a song that makes you feel, and just drove? No destination, just drive, and see, and feel the music. I scanned her eyes, and tore them away to glance out the window before putting them right back on track. Maybe just a drive around town to observe, five minutes, ten minutes, an hour out of town. Left with nothing but you, the road, the music, and more importantly, your life and thoughts about that life. I can promise you, Laurel, you'll discover more about yourself and truth in those five, ten, or sixty minutes than you ever thought possible. Did I hope she'd try it sometime? Yes, definitely.

I get that. I said as I leaned back. I guess I should warn you, I'm an addict. Fresh air is an addiction I happily indulge. I didn't need the woman I was chasing to dig everything I did. In fact, it was better if she didn't. I laughed, arms crossed over my chest to conveniently show off my biceps. They have those winning smiles. They'll make any man or woman melt. I joked with her, flashing my own winning smile in the process. But the smile faded, and her response to my next question had me wondering if I'd stepped into the wrong territory too early. I'm sorry... I said quietly, definitely curious, but not about to ask anything deeper. But it hit me, it just... It just hit me. The similarity. It took something big to remind you how small we all really are, and how we need to work to become bigger people. I get that... So much.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:44 pm

I was having difficulty looking Logan in the eye, which was a first. I'd never had difficulty looking people in the eye, but I felt scrutinized under his gaze. I felt like he was disappointed in me, which was a strange feeling to have with someone you'd only known for a short time. I didn't count him as a stranger, but I didn't know him deeply enough to be able to read him. I focused on my coffee cup, although only some grounds remained at the bottom.

I can't say that I've ever done that, I said, dropping my joking tone. The seriousness of the conversation made me uncomfortable, I didn't like the scrutiny I was getting from Logan. My friends didn't look at me as closely as he was looking now. I could hardly say that I'd ever wanted to spend more time in my own head. My problem was that I couldn't seem to get out of it. I liked to have distractions - books, music, work - all things that allowed me to concentrate on something other than my personal thoughts.

As a doctor, that is one addiction that I can recommend. I felt a stab of envy towards Logan. He knew what he wanted, and he took it. I was decisive when I was in my element. I'd learned to make difficult calls when I was working in the ER. When I played I could instantly hear something I didn't like and change it, but when I wasn't doing those things, it felt like I couldn't figure anything out.

His response to my statement was a relief. From his earlier questions, I'd figured he'd think that I should've become a musician, but even from my brief statement he seemed to have understood my desire to do something that seemed bigger - beyond myself. Being a musician would have served my own personal desires, but I wouldn't have been able to give back in the way that I wanted. His response made me edge out into more dangerous territory, it was only fair, Have you ever felt like that - like you wanted to be bigger?

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics