setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Friendly Faces

[Private] Friendly Faces

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Private] Friendly Faces

Amelia Lear | Human; Citizen

Posted on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:50 pm

Thread Details
a cold foggy morning. Time is around 7am. 
Amy is wearing blue jeans, black boots and a black jumper. Her hair is in a sloppy side braid.

Life in Index had an unmistakeable dull grey tinge. A feeling that reminded me of the smell of stale beer and ashtrays - something that hung around you even when you wanted nothing more than to lose it. It was with an unmistakeable sense of deja vu that I walked down the streets of the town, taking the familiar route from my apartment building to Mary Ann’s coffee shop. Few things had changed - shop names, someone had repainted their front door… but for all intents and purposes, this godforsaken town had retained the same unpalatable quality about it. Reminders of failures, misplaced hope and soul crushing tedium. I was lucky, I got offered my old job back. But the underlying tone of pity in Mary Ann’s voice over the phone had made me hate her a little.

A crow cawed in the distance, turning the dull greyness into something that somehow seemed more sinister. I shook my head, almost laughing derisively at myself. Even after all this time, even after checking every morning that Deidrich was still locked away, the urge to look over my shoulder was there, like some sort of sick Pavlovian complex. Get a fucking grip Amelia. I snarled inside my head, stopping just before the door of the coffee shop and looking around. There was nobody on the streets - I was early. Satisfied that the coast was clear, I reached into my pocket, shook out two little while pills and swallowed them without much fanfare.

I took a deep bracing breath, steadying myself for the onslaught of the brightly lit warmth of the coffee shop and plastering on my best professional smile. As I did, I snorted quietly - it really was like my first day in this town. Except much much worse.

I was early for my shift, and, smallest of mercies, I was able to duck away from Mary Ann with a blank smile and a nod of my head when she greeted me like some kind of over-enthusiastic mother hen. She’d frowned slightly at this, but I was quick enough, ducking my head and moving out of the way to prep the bar. So who’s on shift with me? I asked as casually as I could, knowing that silence was just an invitation for further interrogation and that the last thing I wanted to talk about was my fucking feelings.

Oh! Well, he should be here any time now, so you’ll find out!” The woman all but chirped. I gritted my teeth, nodded and carried on cleaning the countertops with as much ferocity as I could muster.

Back to top Go down

Re: [Private] Friendly Faces

Lenny Tronconi | Army of God; Hunter

Posted on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:56 am

Lenny is wearing his usual pull-on engineer style boots, black straight legged jeans and a faded navy henley-style top. His hair is in his typical mussed and messy state and he has a light stubble.

Working for Mary-Ann at Uncommon Grounds was good - most days. She was a kind employer who believed in fairness for all of her employees, but for me that fact was both a blessing and a curse. It was also the root of the reason why I had to work a set number of early shifts each month even though I loathed being awake before 9am, let alone out of the house, all in the name of 'fairness'. I got out of as many as I possibly could by offering to cover other shifts or swapping with one of the girls but still every so often there'd come an early morning shift I couldn't get out of.

This was exactly one of those days. It didn't help that it was practically freezing outside and mist still licked the ground, or that Annie was out of action again so I had to resort to walking to work. I still felt half asleep as I trudged along, my phone and jacket forgotten at home in the rush to get out the door on time. I tried to speedwalk as much as I could in my tired state in an effort not to get there too late.

The shop frontage was soon visible in the distance and I sped up, pushing through the door minutes later.

Before the door had even closed my mouth was open. I'm not late... there was traffic- The words merged together in a mumbled mess as they fell from my lips but then I stopped, mouth agape, staring at the person behind the counter. It wasn't Mary-Ann.

Amy!? I thought aloud, my tone every bit as shocked disbelief as the expression on my face. Amy shouldn't have been there - she was supposed to somewhere else, Europe or.. wherever the postcard she'd sent me was from but I couldn't think in the moment, my brain failing to function past the face that Amy was there.

Even Mary-Ann bustling in from the back door didn't knock me from my stupor. "And here he is. Almost on time, too." She breezed past me as if nothing was amiss, simply continuing with the set up of the cafe before it opened. I didn't have the wherewithal to argue about my potential lateness and Mary-Ann's acceptance of Amy's presence only confused me more. I... I, but..what? I said, frowning and feeling incredibly out of whatever loop I was apparently in.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:08 am

I tried to muster up some enthusiasm about working the morning shift. But serving a sometimes irate caffeine deprived customer base on cold grey Washington spring day brought little to no joy. I glared at the dark brown spot on the counter, scrubbing at it with all my might to eliminate the stain. Who the hell had been maintaining this place? Probably whoever I’m on shift with. I exhaled deeply, renewing my energy in eliminating the stain. When it had reached a level of elimination I was satisfied with, I turned my displeasure on the whereabouts of my shift mate. I wasn't sure how well my current facade of having my shit together would hold up against a full morning shift on my own. I found a new stain and began working on it, taking out my frustrations with the small speck of dirt.

As if summoned by magic, the door opened, followed by the sound of some muttering. I wasn't sure what was being said, some pathetic excuse about not being late which I rolled my eyes at. I glanced at my watch - definitely late. Not disastrously late, but late nonetheless. I rolled my eyes, balled up the rag and looked up at the…

Oh.

Mary-Ann’s blatantly put-on blasé attitude about the whole thing just made me feel even more awkward and resentful. Of course my first shift would be one that resulted in seeing old friends. Especially when I really didn’t want anything to do with anyone. Who knew if Mary-Ann had deliberately arranged for it? Knowing her, it was entirely possible. Maybe she thought it would "help". I didn't need her fucking "help". I fought the urge to grab one of the comfy pillows that dotted the coffee shop (”for ambience”, Mary-Ann had explained) and scream into it. Or rip it into a billion little pieces with my bare hands. With my current level of agitation, I wouldn't have been surprised if that task proved to be achievable.

Why, of all people, did I have to bump into Lenny? Who decided it would be a good idea to let him spend extended periods of time near steamers and boiling hot water? Did he even know the difference between a latte and a flat white? And more importantly, how the hell was I going to act like I was fine when all I wanted to do was scowl? I got the distinct feeling that I would have to put in double the effort whilst working with him. My sarcastic inner voice whooped in a display of faux enthusiasm.

I wasn’t sure I’d be able to take on my old approach of dealing with Lenny, didn’t want to expend energy trying to understand why his moods shifted and changed. God damn it, it was my fucking turn to be moody.

At least the pills had taken the edge off.

I tried to arrange my face in a calm and unperturbed expression, tried to keep my voice as neutral as possible. Hi Lenny. I felt my mouth set in a grim line - not quite the smile I was hoping to achieve then. So be it. How are you? I ignored his obvious confusion. Maybe if I didn’t talk about it he’d stop asking. But even as I thought that, I knew the chances were slim to none.

Great. Just great. I sighed and twisted the steamer on. Maybe the noise would drown out my obvious agitation.

Back to top Go down

Lenny Tronconi | Army of God; Hunter

Posted on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:25 am

I still felt groggy enough that the fact I was still asleep and dreaming seemed a real possibility - or at least more realistic than the actual reality. I stared at Amy, my mouth gaping liking a fish, before I came back to my senses.

Hi... I echoed back. I grabbed an apron that was hung up to the side, an attempt to escape the pressure I felt from her question, the same pressure I felt whenever anyone asked it. Was I fine? I didn't want to think about that. I, uh... how are you? I fired the question back, focusing on tying the strings of my Uncommon Grounds-logoed apron behind me and avoiding eye contact while I did so. I straightened up after only to start leaning on the counter - and pull away with distaste because it was wet. I made a face, shoved my now damp sleeve up my arm and returned my attention to Amy. So... I didn't know you were here.. I thought you were in Europe? When did you get here? How long you back in Index for? Are you living in your old place again? And did Mary-Ann give you your job back-

I was startled out of my quick-fire questions by a hand on my back. I jumped, only to roll my eyes in annoyance at myself and bow my head slightly when I noticed it was Mary-Ann. She gave my shoulder a light pat and seemed sorry at first, before once again getting her 'boss-face' on.

" Yes, I did hun, but don't drown the poor girl with questions. And I know you two might have a lot to catch yourselves up on but there's a lot of work to keep up with too, so don't get too distracted." Mary-Ann gave me a pointed look and held out a cloth for me to take, though not meanly. I gave a sigh and nodded, begrudgingly taking the offered cloth before Mary-Ann went out back again, smiling and humming happily as she went. I felt a little like a scolded child even after she'd gone. I glanced awkwardly at Amy. But - it was Amy. I couldn't feel awkward for long, not after how long I'd known her, not after how well I'd known her.

I set the cloth down on the counter in front of with an audible wet smack, for the moment ignoring the other tables in the shop that needed a wipe down  seeing as Mary-Ann had disappeared again. So... I glanced to Amy, unsure where to start, You're back?

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:39 pm

I took in a deep breath, fists clenching and unclenching under the counter. I looked at Lenny levelly, whilst counting up to five in my head. I’m just peachy. I said, without any inflection. Peachy-fucking-keen. Of course I was. That was why I was back in this stupid town, doing my dead end job slinging coffee and muffins at the ungrateful public. I felt Mary-Ann shoot me a look - not out of anger or annoyance, but yet another one of her “I’m concerned about you but I’ll wait until you decide to talk” looks. She’d been doing that a lot. It wasn’t helping.

Neither was Lenny.

I fought the urge to snap back. Obviously I was back. Obviously I wasn’t in Europe. But the day was just starting and I really didn’t feel like dealing with a sulky Lenny or Mary-Ann’s reproachful looks. I reached unconsciously into my jean pocket, where I’d wrapped up two of my pills in tissue. I almost hated myself for that, but I was in pain. I needed them.

I got back a few days ago. I won’t be dancing again. So I’ll probably be here for- … for a while. I caught myself just in time. I didn’t need anyone’s pitying looks for my fatalistic outlook. Forever didn’t seem like cynicism though, more like reality. A sad coffee-stained reality.

Whilst trapped in my reverie, I almost missed the look Mary-Ann gave Lenny. But I didn’t. And I knew it would be ineffective. It might keep Lenny quiet for a moment but it wouldn’t keep his questions at bay for long. Equally, in the same breath, I received one of her “be nice” looks. Mary-Ann had been the only person I had spoken to since my return and it had not escaped her notice that things were… different from when I had left.

I hoped that work would be enough to keep everyone busy and occupied, but of course even the noise of the steamer couldn’t keep Lenny at bay. I twisted the dial slowly and deliberately, allowing it to emit a loud squeal first. Buying time. But try as I might, I couldn’t think of a more pithy or eloquent response. I guess I am.

At that moment, the door swung open. Thank god. Customers. I plastered on a less resentful expression and got ready to take the frazzled-looking woman’s order. Good morning ma’am, what can I get you?

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics