setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Learning Curve

[Private] Learning Curve

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Private] Learning Curve

Lenny Tronconi | Army of God; Hunter

Posted on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Thread Details

Index College Library | Dark, cold and windy | 8pm

OOC Message

Outfit, jeans are straight legged.

It was warm inside the Index College library, a haven from the cold bitterness of the winter outside, but that was maybe the only good thing about the place. No, the only good thing about the place. A cafe in the foyer, the only other good point, wasn't even as open as late as the stupid library was, the sign just tempting me on the way in and a reminder of all the places I'd rather be.

I hated libraries. I hated studying, reading, books... And yet there I was, slumped on a chair in front of a table full of the things. There weren't even any computers free to make the place slightly more bearable. I picked at the corner of a book, miserable, before hefting out a sigh and forcing myself to sit up. After lifting my arms up and straightening my spine, I closed my eyes and tried to regain some will to concentrate.

I might have hated books, studying, libraries, learning in general - but there was also something I now hated more. Vampires. And while the library might not have been the best place to learn truth about them, since it seemed I might actually be able to join Helios' organisation, I wanted to make it seem like I knew something about them. I didn't want to seem like an idiot to the other members I was yet to meet and the thought of surprising Helios with some new-found knowledge, rather than simply relying on him, was what had tempted me to the library - having my own worth, other than simply being the useless victim I felt like sometimes.

One of the books in front of me still lay open and I started to resume my task. Turning first to the back part of the book, as suggested by the library assistant I'd asked on entering the library, I looked through the words until I came to the one I desired, smiling in triumph when I finally found it. I made a note of the number next to it and quickly started flicking to the page, each small accomplishment propelling me further.

When I found the page the blocks of text on it made me pause, but after staring at it with a clenched jaw I slowly got myself together again. I pressed a finger to the page under the words to keep my place and started to read to myself in a low voice, pulling at the sleeves of my sweater as I did so.

Vampire... also spelled... - vampyre...  in popular leg-end, a creature, often... fanged,- that preys upon humans, gener - gener-ally.. by con- - con.. con-summ-ing their... blood. - Vampires have been... fett...fea... featoor... featured in... folklore and fiction of... - various cul-tures for hundreds of years, pre- pred- ...pre... I paused, frowning at the word and the meaning of what I'd been reading forgotten as the task of deciphering the word took over. I frowned down at the page. Pre-dom-i... predom-in... I gave up eventually, stubbing my finger over the word to hide it and moving on to the next, in Europe, although belief in them has.... waned... in modern times. I stopped and frowned down at the text I'd just about managed to read, but not grasp the meaning of while I'd done so.

Back to top Go down

Re: [Private] Learning Curve

Nïya Kaminski | Vampire; Classic

Posted on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:15 pm

Outfit

Thing’s weren’t progressing the way I had hoped where the matter of my maker was concerned, and though I had entertained a wild idea that perhaps I could sneak my way back to London and finish the job I had hoped another would complete, I had to think realistically. It was an impossible job. Not only was I certain now that I was being tracked down in Index, I was positive that the second my foot ever hit the cold, damp grounds of Heathrow, I would be hunted and killed. 

Right now death was not an option I was looking into, and it was one I would rather not acquaint myself with. I needed to be strategic; think outside the box to gain the upper hand on Vox and his goons, but for that I needed to make other friends. It was a far-fetched idea of course, but one that I was willing to see the outcome through. If all went as planned then I was a genius. If things went awry, well, then there was much to be said about my current state of mind.

Paranoia was at it’s highest at late. Everywhere I turned, every place I went to, it felt as if there were eyes following me around, but when I looked there was no one in sight, in fact, I couldn’t even smell their presence, let alone hear them. It was driving me to the brink of insanity. That was what led me to the walls of the Index College Library. I needed a quiet place - one where I could attune to my surroundings and pinpoint even the slightest of sounds. 

Shimmying off my coat, I quietly travelled through the aisles of the library in search for a dark corner to situate myself in but found myself stopping abruptly as my ears picked up on a word in particular. 

Vampire

I focused on the sound of the voice and turned on my heels directly towards it, silently finding the source. Maybe my paranoia was causing me to imagine things, but it was too much of a coincidence in this moment to ignore. In a matter of moments I was met with the back of a man, perched on a chair with the sleeves of his sweater pulled towards his curled fingers as he attempted to read from a book. Attempted seemed to be the keyword here. 

Relief washed over me as it became clear that this was not the said stalker. “Predominantly.” I slid into the available seat next to him and shot my most friendly smile as I tossed my coat over the desk. “Is that what’s all the rage with the kids now? Vampire folklore?” I murmured as my eyes quickly skimmed over the little that was visible to read.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:00 am

I stared down at the words on the page. The same words I had just read, just spoken aloud.. and yet they didn't mean anything more to me than before. It wasn't only the meanings of some words that evaded me, but the effort to both read and comprehend what I was reading at the same time. It was incredibly frustrating and even more so off-putting. Already I was debating giving up and returning home. I let out a half-sigh and stubbed my finger repeatedly against the page in a bored motion, attempting to drum up the energy to go back and try again. I'd heard the sound of someone walking and thought nothing of it, still staring blankly at the page - until out of nowhere came an unusual word uttered right behind me.

I jumped a little bit at the unexpectedness of it, which upon realising its source was from a woman and one who was now apparently sitting next to me, I then immediately tried to cover over. I folded my arms over my chest and leaned back in my chair as I took in her appearance. She seemed friendly but I was still surprised and slightly taken aback by her presence, not to mention the manner in which she'd appeared.

It wasn't only her manner which had been strange though. I was still thinking over whatever she'd said. My eyebrows were knitted together in thought and unable to fathom an answer myself, I couldn't help asking, Predomi-what? I watched her with curiosity, giving her room to look over the book, and then frowned further. Hey - what, do I look like a kid? I complained, shooting her a skeptical and slightly injured look. Then I rolled my eyes and sighed once more. In spite of what I took as a blow to my pride, I was unable to resists venting about the difficult venture I had before me. Folklore? I dunno what that is, I'm just trying to find some stuff out about them. Except, all the fucking books are really long and hard to understand. You think there'd be some.. I dunno, fucking guide or shit. Isn't that what libraries are for? To make learning stuff easy? Or pictures that aren't all black and white. I realised how I might sound and attempted to backtrack a little, I mean, it's not like I don't read good, I just, uh.. mean for other people, it'd be better to have it all simple and shit, right?

Back to top Go down

Nïya Kaminski | Vampire; Classic

Posted on Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:36 pm

It was frighteningly easy how quick I could take a trip down memory lane despite my earlier unwillingness to do so. Perhaps it was a sick twist of fate that the man before me ticked the boxes for easy prey? Prey thathe taught me to maim and kill for a sliver of his attention. Prey that was eagerly torn to pieces with the crushing force of my fangs in the hopes of a shred of pride and approval. Oh, how I was young and naive back then. How I allowed my ambition to be wrongly aimed in his direction.

I knew better now. I thought better. The concept of such a past in where I so readily stood back and let others take complete control of my every move left a sick taste in my mouth, and as my eyes fell upon the man in front of me I struggled not to let my past get the better of me once more. Predominantly. Adverb. mainly; for the most part. My smile widened at the unease sensed. The thing with libraries you see, is no matter how low you whisper, you can still be heard.  That was true for the most part. I could see now from the corner of my eye the snotty librarian who stood in the corner of the room, eying the both of us. Not that she needed to say a word of disapproval, it was clear by the expression on her face that she was less than happy with the level of noise coming from our direction. Mentally, I dared her to try to reprimand me. I was on edge all day and increasingly hungry. I could feel the tips of my fangs grazing against my gums, urging for a bite. It took all of my self control to be on my best behaviour and I welcomed the potential confrontation. All I needed was a reason to retaliate.

You said it, not me. I said indifferently, shrugging back to him. Though I was sure he was well aware he needed a bit of help in the reading department. What is it about them that’s caught your attention? I questioned. It wasn’t unusual for normal people to look up supernatural beings since not all of us were so careful to keep under the radar but, in the midst of my question my eyes had naturally drifted to his neck and I noticed the familiar marks as if in answer. The universe loved to throw some wonders my way it seemed. If only, right? I shifted slightly towards him, leaning in to whisper. You won’t have much luck with that book, so you know. 

Standing up, I headed over to one of the aisles further to the back of the library, skimming the tips of my fingers over the hardback covers before touching upon the one I had been searching for. This, is the kind of stuff you want to sink your teeth into. retelling and counts of the occult - a compilation of true stories of supernatural encounters I dropped the book on the desk and slipped back into my seat. The first rule of uncovering the truth is to find a good source. You’re more likely to learn from reading something like this than a 2,000 page book filled with hearsay.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:17 am

As the blonde's smile grew my frown deepened and I stared at her in a moment of confused transparency before I checked back into reality. I quickly tried to cover my confusion with a smile of my own, albeit an unsure one. I didn't know what an adverb was or why it mattered that it was only mainly an adverb either - all I knew was that I wasn't interested in an English lesson. I wasn't interested in any lessons apart from a quick, easy and effort-free one about vampires, which it didn't look like I was going to get. I hadn't exactly expected that either, but neither had I expected the task to be so difficult. Then again I hadn't expected a study buddy either. Whisper? I echoed back without whispering myself. Uhh... but why the fuck do we have to whisper?

It was becoming obvious to me that the woman next to me was some type of library expert and while some of what she was saying seemed too complicated and went over my head, I reasoned that she could be helpful too.

I glanced sideways at her when she asked a question I hadn't been prepared for anyone asking. Uh.. My gaze rolled to my other side and then roamed around the room as I struggled to think of a good reason, seeing as I definitely couldn't tell the truth. I'm just... I mean, I'm not even interested in them, uh... I'm looking them up for a friend. Y'know... I shrugged and glanced back to the book, leaving my answer hanging, and instead glanced back to the blonde when she leaned in, feeling slightly uncomfortable with a stranger invading my personal space. ...huh. I just answered dumbly, nodding slightly and still largely confused.

When she stood up I craned my neck to watch her, still trying to figure the woman out. I was beginning to wonder if her sitting next to me was a joke on her part, an attempt to show up my intelligence. The only other reason I could come up with was that she had a strange interest in books.

Either way, I hadn't been expecting her to come back so when she returned, a book hitting the table in front of me with a thump, I could only stare at it. Then very gradually as I overcame my surprise, a grin slowly appeared on my face. I picked up the book, looked it over quickly, taking in the much smaller size and larger font compared to the other book, and then turned to the blonde, my face still lit up with happy disbelief. Shit - this' perfect! I was looking for so fucking long trying to find a book that was actually good but had to ask that old woman over there to get this one. I tapped at the larger book and then pushed it away on the table in front of me as it was no longer needed. I flicked through the newer book instead, tilting my head to look at an image on one of the pages.  Hey, look, there's even pictures. I looked to the blonde again, still happily flicking at the book in my hands and no longer so confused or concerned about her presence. So...do you work here or something? You know loads about this stuff.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics