setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Miraculous Recovery - Page 2

[Private] Miraculous Recovery

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Private] Miraculous Recovery

Laurel Davis | Human; Citizen

Posted on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:58 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. My luck has been better than yours, it seems. I said in a polite but formal tone. He looked good - hospitals weren't immune to gossip and Ben certainly wasn't excluded from the rumor mill - people whispered about how he wasn't quite the same since his accident. He'd accused me of wanting to change him, but I thought that he'd already changed. His denial did not change the similarity that I saw between us, and that was the reason why I couldn't let go no matter how hard I tried.

I fidgeted with my clipboard as he apologized to me about what had transpired between us. My head was still spinning from our last conversation where he basically shut me down and denied whatever connection we had, and now he was acting like we were still buddies, like there was still some spark even though he had seemingly decided that there wasn't. I don't know what I'd expected, but this certainly wasn't it. Well, you were a bit of an, uh... ass. But, it's in the past now, yeah? I gave him a reassuring smile but maintained my formal tone. At this point it seemed best to keep my distance.

Uh... I hesitated, racking my brain for a reason to say no, but I'd essentially just told him that I had nothing and I couldn't really just say "no, I'd much rather go suck down weak coffee and do paperwork" - in all honestly I'd never really been the best at saying no to anything. Why not?

Back to top Go down

Ben

Benjamin Reese | Vampire; Infant

Posted on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:03 pm

I shrugged, being so used to these conversations, saying without saying that’s the way it goes. I’m glad to hear that then, because you aren’t wrong, I haven’t had the best luck, but maybe I’ve brought some of it on myself. At first, when I said it, it was my intent that I was lying, but I didn’t even finish spitting the words out before I realized it was the truth. That night when I’d gotten captured by Bubba Bible Thumper and his wifey, that was my fault for being an idiot. I’d gotten myself into that mess. But I needed to find my way out, even if it came at a cost.

Come on, now, Laurel, you’ve heard the rumors, I winked, I’m always an ass. Maybe if I could get her laughing, get her on board with me, this would go easier. I knew what to do, but the devil was in the details. But yeah, just kidding, I think I can play nice. Let’s go see this guy. I grabbed a stethoscope, already forgetting what this guy’s chief complaint was, not really caring. I paced purposefully to the desk, finding Maya just returning to her seat. Where did you say I can find Mr. Williamson?

”Room fourteen. They’re getting labs on him for you now, so you’d better let them know if there’s anything special you want.”

I drummed on the desk excitedly before running off to room fourteen, a quick smiling glance behind to make sure Laurel was following. I noticed the strange look Maya had given me. She wasn’t used to seeing me so.. light hearted? Whatever the hell it was. I knew, the majority of this plan was going to be turbulent, but I was kind of psyched for the end. It was cheating, yes, but… God, I was still earning what I’d win in the long run.

I entered room fourteen to find the guy looking even sicker than I’d ever seen him. If I had much of a human heart left, I would have been sad. This guy had actually tried to turn shit around, but it was too late. His liver was shot, meaning this dude was as yellow as a fucking lemon. A little creepy, honestly. Probably time for a hospice consult if you ask me, I whispered to Laurel, pushing away my cheerful affect, and stepping further into the room to speak to the phlebotomist. Routine chemistry, CBC, liver enzymes, the obvious. Let’s get a urine osmol too. Any family around Mr. Williamson? Shit, if the guy didn’t know exactly why I had asked him. I could see the expression on his face just kind of… melt. My eyes darted to Dr. Davis, wondering if she'd seen it in him too. Wondering if she knew I was shit at these situations.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:57 pm

I gave him a confused look, I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Luck, to me, was by definition not something you could control. Unless he was superstitious I didn't really understand what he was trying to say when he said he'd brought it on himself.

I think what he was saying was supposed to be a joke, like self-deprecating humor, but to me it just came off as kind of arrogant and a little exaggerated. "Ass" wasn't really a word that I used a lot, but he'd been one and now he was trying to make light of it, and as charming as I had found him before, I did not feel charmed now. A noncommittal, Mmhmm, was my only response.

Maya and I exchanged a glance and I increased my pace to follow Ben's rapid footsteps to room 14. When I crossed the threshold a few moment's after Ben I found that I did indeed recognize Mr. Williamson as a regular to the ER. He did not look good, which was not surprising considering his history, but it was saddening nonetheless. He wasn't exactly an attractive man, although maybe he once was. The drug use had its toll and it was difficult to make jaundice look good.

Ben asked Mr. Williamson about his family, which wasn't exactly a reassuring question. I felt his eyes on me and turned to meet his before saying, It's customary for the hospital to let emergency contacts know when a patient's being admitted. I tried to give the patient a reassuring look while still appearing serious.

Despite Ben's little slip-up we needed to keep moving forward with the patient so I asked him some routine questions and about his history before ordering a CT scan, but I had to agree with Ben about the hospice consult - unfortunately, Mr. Williamson looked like he didn't have a lot of life left in him.

Back to top Go down

Ben

Benjamin Reese | Vampire; Infant

Posted on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:24 pm

”Hey, any more labs before I run them off, Dr. Reese? Dr. Davis?” Megan seemed almost confused, yeah, it was a little odd for two doctors to be in the room, but not unheard of, especially on a slow night like this when everyone ached for something to make the shift go by.
Not for me. You know what, Megan? I think I’ll take them, if you don’t mind. I’ll drop them off on the way to the caff. I’d like to grab a snack.

Megan handed me the biohazard bag with the tubes, and I began quickly skimming over, and yes. This was good. Megan was always careful, and always drew extra tubes in case of clotting or some other kinds of lab errors. I’d always appreciated the way she covered her ass, but it was going to be especially beneficial for me tonight. Now, came the harder part of my plan, getting Laurel to come with me, on my little stroll. I could tell she was ready to be civil, but cautious. Very cautious.

”You know, it’s going to be a while before we get results on any of this. You want to go, too, Dr. Davis? We’ve got this covered and I haven’t seen you eat.” OH. That’s right. I’d overheard the gossip, God, how I loved Megan right now. I seriously could kiss her, but that might actually mean I’d accidentally have her for dinner. Megan was the lone one in the ER who “shipped” us. She thought we’d both “be good for each other” or some bs like that. In another life? Maybe. In this life I wasn’t good for anyone, and I was okay with that. I looked at Dr. Davis with a smirk, wondering just how much she was cursing Megan in her pleasant little head.

Well, what do you say? They’re still open for another hour. Either way, I’ll see you there. I’ve got to get these to lab. I wasn’t superstitious, but this would be my sign. I’d take the blood to lab, at least most of it, and then I would wait by the door. If she showed, then it was on. If not, then I had to come up with plan B. I just hoped to God that plan B didn’t involve Gayle.

”Wait, Doc, Here are the slips.” I grabbed the slips and made my way through the empty halls to the lab department, toward the window. On my way, I quickly slipped one of the duplicate vials in my pocket. I dropped the bag off into the basket by the window, and walked the bit more distance it took to the cafeteria, finally resting my back against the wall by the door. I wasn’t watching, but my ears were listening for her footsteps.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Whatever was happening... or had happened between Ben and I was not something that I was happy with. I'd been clear and honest about my feelings. I'd been more open than I liked to be and he had turned me down. So why wasn't that the end? A decision was made. A line was drawn. But now that line was being blurred by the person who had drawn it. I'd learned to try to get out of situations that hurt me, and this one certainly didn't seem to be going anywhere good. But something, or maybe more than one thing kept me from just saying "no" and walking away.

It probably wasn't my difficulty with saying no in general. I didn't want to hurt him, but I also didn't really feel like I would be hurting him by walking away. He'd said as much, at least.

Maybe it was what little feelings I'd had for him that I hadn't let go of yet. I wasn't an idiot, but sometimes time is the only thing that can completely erase what you feel for someone.

I think the think that kept me there the most was my own curiosity. Ben seemed... excited. I couldn't figure out why. Nothing that he'd said or that had happened could explain it, but he was practically giddy and somehow I was involved in this giddiness and I wanted to know why.

He blew into the room like a whirlwind, and went out in the same fashion. I moved at a slower pace, almost trailing behind him. Somehow, in between the time that we dealt with the patient and our departure, it was decided that we should get something to eat together. This was in part because Megan had it in her head that we should be together, but Ben didn't exactly say no either. Again with the erratic behavior... So I went out for the same reason I came in - to get answers. And when I finally arrived at the cafeteria, Ben was there waiting, hopefully to give them to me.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics