setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Open - 1] Sparky's words of wisdom

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Claire Trevino

Claire Trevino | Human; Citizen

Posted on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:21 am

Thread Details

Gold Bar Speedway | 82F | 1pm

OOC Message
This happens exactly one week after this thread. Claire's look. This is a drag race track.

I'd forgotten what it was like to be on the other side of the fence. I'd forgotten that shorts weren't compatible with the silver, metal hot bleachers. My sweaty thighs were sticking and it was not a good time. The line to the concession stand out here was a mile long, and as much as I craved my routine chili cheese fries, I wasn't sure that it was worth it. I sat there alone, not really sure why I was even here. Yeah, I'd made some friends other than Chase, but I knew it would be too weird to talk to them. I did miss some of the older guys, and their wives. They weren't what a lot of people would consider the "cool" crowd, but damn did they make me feel at home. What the hell was I going to do, now? Shit - I almost quit school for that loser! I was preparing for a life in this, and was A-okay with it. Honestly, I still wanted the life, obviously not with him. Even if I found myself trying to spy him out, watching the other side of the track more than the cars on the track itself. Ugh, what a loser ex girlfriend thing to do. But surely it was human nature, right? Maybe this was the denial stage, or maybe I was just trying to figure out my place now. Or maybe I just needed to say my goodbye to the family behind the fence at the Gold Bar Speedway, even if it was from a distance.

And when I finally stopped looking for him, I spotted him. The only one stupid enough to voluntarily wear black on a hot day like this. And as much as I'd hoped I had been wrong, I wasn't. Chase was as transparent as saran wrap. I would recognize those long blonde locks anywhere. The girl from the gas station was right beside him. I took a deep breath, and forced it out through pursed lips. Did they serve beer at the concession stands? Maybe someone close by had a flask on them. I needed something, I didn't care. Just then I heard someone sit beside me. Like right beside me. I looked to my left to see none other than Sparky.

So, I should explain. Sparky is the driver of the Dart. That little baby blue and rust covered car that eats the kids for breakfast. Sparky himself was one of the veterans of the track, or at least compared to me. He was in his mid fifties, and had been going for about five years. Really, he wasn't professional or anything. Whenever Sparky had time for a hobby, it was cars. He liked to flip them - not literally. He'd find an old car, get it running, and sell it to some rich guy who wanted to do the body work. But when he came across the dart, he couldn't get rid of her. He juiced her up for the track and began leaving kids like me in the dust.

He sat beside me in his paint stained jeans and his work shirt - one of those shirts that looks like a garage uniform, with a patch sewn on the chest reading the name "Earl". That wasn't his real name. I didn't know his real name, even though they announced it when he raced. I kept forgetting. He was just Sparky.

What are you doing on this side of the fence? I asked.
"I should ask you the same," he said, looking at me through his black horn-rimmed glasses. He'd been pretty excited to get those. Not because he wanted to look like a hipster, but because he'd worn a pair pretty similar when he was in school.
Don't have a car to race.
"Oh, yeah. I heard. What about that ol' rice burner. What is it you call her? Arya?" I laughed. Arya could keep it going on the interstate, but she was no drag car.
Nah, how about you let me borrow the Dart? I raised my eyebrows. He didn't say no, he just winked.
"You know why he dumped you, right?"
Oh, yeah, that pretty blonde thing down there.
"Oh, heck no. You haven't seen her up close, have you?" he smiled, and then raised one eyebrow. He reminded me a bit of Robert DeNiro when he did it. Like he was seriously able to curve his brow in a way no other man could. It was a strange look, but I knew Sparky, and it got the point across.
"You intimidate him, and you can dust his ass on the track. He doesn't like that. Listen, been a nice chat, but I gotta run. Dart needs a tune-up."

And with that he was almost hopping down the bleachers. The man, despite a bad knee, had a lot more pep in his step than us youngsters. He spent most of his time here complaining about his wife, so maybe he was just happy to be away for a bit, and be in his zone.

Good luck, as if you need it! I yelled, and he waved in acknowledgement as he hopped off the bleachers and headed toward the pit. I wasn't sure if there was any truth to his words, but I at least had a smug smirk, because at least part of it was right - I could always leave Chase in the dust. I put off the beer and chili for a little while longer and watched as an Impala and a Nova pulled up to the start.

Back to top Go down

Re: [Open - 1] Sparky's words of wisdom

Samuel Evans |

Posted on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:28 pm

OOC Message

Was it really necessary to stand in line at the concession stand for a roughly good thirty minutes? Absolutely not. I could have already been sitting in the stands shouting and yelling with the nearby beer bellies, or whatever one does at a drag race. I saw this as a perfect opportunity to bond with the townsfolk, and because I worked on a few of the cars that are racing today back in the shop. So might as well show my support. But I keep telling myself that's why I'm here. The hospital had today jam packed with tests for Clay, and that I was not allowed to even step foot in the building. So what better way to spend the day instead of spending it with my son? Getting drunk off my ass and shoving my face with the chili cheese fries I had just ordered. But was it worth it, waiting in line? Absolutely. The savory aroma of the chili cheese fries was mouth watering, and what's a sporting event without a bottle of beer. But of course I have a flask on me, in case I want something a little stronger to get the party going. 

I stand by the railing that was overlooking the bleachers, and to my delight, it wasn't as crowded as I had expected. That's probably because the entire crowd is over at the concession stand. But now came the time to decide whether I scurry away to the end of the bleachers and enjoy my goodies in peace, or take this time to sit next to someone who has also come alone and hopefully spark up a conversation and good time. My eyes slowly scan over the scattered heads, and from the looks of it, no one looks like a worthy candidate. Everyone here is either with family or a group of friends, and I'm not that desperate to make good with the towns people. Until I spot a man skipping down the bleachers towards the track, I follow to where he had stood up from and what do you know, I spy someone who is now alone. A small grins hints on my face as I start to make my way down to my new companion. 

As I got closer, I notice that my new companion is a chick, and as her face comes into view I disclose that she is a very attractive chick. Like, damn. Don't those who look like that and go to these kind of events hang out on the other side of that fence as little cheerleaders or something? I take a deep breath before I call out to her.  You think your friend will mind I take his seat? I don't really give her time to respond as I already sit my ass down next to hers, which I'm sure looks damn fine in those shorts. The scorching metal bleachers practically burning right through the pockets of my denim jeans. I swear, they need signs that say, 'Caution, bleachers are fucking hot. Your buns will roast.' I pick a fry from the basket and pop it in my mouth, then I offer her the basket. Care for some? I was in the mood to be kind, which is extremely rare. But this will most likely be the most fun I have in a long time, and after everything Clay and I are going through, this is a perfect time to clear my mind and actually enjoy myself. 

Back to top Go down

Claire Trevino

Posted on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:40 pm

I looked up, shading my eyes from the sun as I sought the source of the voice. I wasn’t used to people being so forward, not unless they knew me. And that was the problem, so many people knew me, but I didn’t know them at all. I flinched, thinking I was going to have yet another person to explain it to, that I didn’t remember anyone from “before the accident”. Obviously, the real story wouldn’t ever get out, and I was incredibly lucky that “amnesia” was a very reasonable symptom for being in a coma so long. But either way, I thought I was out of the clear, he hadn’t said my name, right? The whole repeat game of “Does he know me or is he flirting? Or both?

Not at all, he’s up soon. I smiled at him, and used the bought time to glance over him, look at his expression, and search for any sign of familiarity. So far, nothing, and I’d be alright if he didn’t know my name.

I had a brief notion once, though, that just because a person didn’t know my name didn’t mean Claire hadn’t known them before the accident. And yet, I thought that would be the funniest situation. If the guy, being a guy that Claire might have had sex with, was an asshole enough to forget her name, but it clearly wasn’t good enough for Claire to remember him at all. Weirdly, I secretly wanted that to happen.

You’re not kidding. I should have known better than to wear these shorts. I might end up with third degree burns if I’m not careful.

And now I was officially torn. Was I taking food from a stranger? Was he offering me his (glorious looking) chili cheese fries because he knew me? Or were my shorts warming up more than my “buns”? Either way, I wasn’t a fool who turned down free chili cheese fries. And eating food offered from a stranger? Shit - maybe I like to live dangerously. Or, I was observant enough to realize that one - who the hell poisons people randomly? And two - he’s eating the damned things himself as well. I shamelessly grabbed a fry, began showing down, and replied with a completely full mouth. Omuhgaw, yur uh lifesavuh, I said, reveling in the bliss of the Gold Bar Concession stand chili. Okay, sorry, babies, yes, you’re worth the wait in line, but not worth missing Sparky’s race. Thankfully, this guy was all but my guardian angel. I finally swallowed so I could speak without sounding like a lunatic… or a five year old.

Sorry, I was desperate. That stuff is like crack to me.

Back to top Go down

Samuel Evans |

Posted on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:02 am

That guy is racing today? I asked in complete shock, raising my eyebrows, I took a second glance at the guy who is now on the other side of the fence getting all prepped. Judging from his attire, it was very clear that this was his kind of place, but I didn't know that allowed racers to enter at that age. I would assume that with all the beautiful engines surrounding them, that some guys might have like a testosterone overdose or something. 

Well at least you weren't stupid enough to wear jeans on a day like this. I suppose we're both dumb asses today. I chuckled. I was not a fan of shorts. I was always that kid back in school who wore jeans year round with black t-shirts, and because of that I was an out cast. I remember hearing a rumor that I had intense markings up and down my legs and that I was hiding them. I actually wore black to not stand out, yet that didn't seem to work. My charming looks didn't help either. You better start being careful, or hope there's a medic around, or someone willingly to take you the hospital. Because I'm not necessarily welcomed there. I joked, bringing my beer bottle to my lips and taking a swing. Although I meant my words to be all fun, they did hold some truth. 

I cocked my head to the side and leaned in a bit towards her. Oh I'm sorry, but what was that? I couldn't understand a damn word you just said. I think you may have some food in your mouth or something. A wide smirk spread across my face and I winked at her. I reached into the basket, grabbed a small handful and shoved them into my mouth while onlooking the people scrambling on the tarmac. The atmosphere down there just seems so alive, and I'd love to be feeling like that now. Good thing I have a flask in my pocket to give me a hand on making that happen, since that's all I really know how to feel alive. No need to apologize. You certainly didn't seem sorry as you shoved them down your throat. Now I know the key to your heart is a basket of chili cheese fries. Noted.

I'm sure it's a little odd that a complete stranger just popped down beside you, even if he supplied you with your dose of crack. So let's make it a little less odd, it might still be weird but whatever. I'm Samuel.  

Back to top Go down

Claire Trevino

Posted on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:39 am

Hey! I yelled, turning my whole torso to face him while I glared. Don’t you dare knock Sparky. You must be new here. Finally, my serious glare and tone faded to a grin. Really, though, Sparky eats these cocky kids for breakfast and I love it. I mean he used to do this on the streets in high school, you know. I hadn’t paid attention, but it had appeared the Nova had won the previous race. Now, Chase was up with the SHO. That I would have been driving ordinarily. Up against a mid 1990’s mustang. God, should be easy. But I knew (okay, I hoped) Chase would fuck it up. I’m sure the change in my affect had to be visible.

Huh? Oh, I don’t think there’s any real middle ground between jeans and shorts, I’m sad to say. But my eyes were focused on the cars. Normally I hate mustangs, but…

And then I realized in my trance of post-break up anger that I’d missed something strange he’d said. Not welcome at the hospital? Should I ask? Maybe this was what I needed though, because I clearly wasn’t really wanting to be the jealous ex who even bothered enough to stalk her ex at the track. I thought about it, and most of the time my rationale was skewed, but it was there, and I felt like it was sound, so why not?

Not welcome at the hospital? Now that’s a story I kind of want to hear. I paused, now turned to face him, hoping to shut out any care over who would win the race. Myself I really hope I never have to go back, I continued, pointing to the scar on my neck. What the heck was I doing? Why would I point that ghastly thing out?

I caught myself looking down the track, as I heard the engines straining, especially the SHO. Shit, he had no idea what he was doing, and it was clear the Mustang was way ahead of him. I couldn’t help but to smile, and this guy beside me gave me even more reason to smile when a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. If he was introducing himself, then he didn’t know me. Phew!

Yeah, a little odd, but stranger things have happened. And I was desperate for those fries, so I’m not complaining. I’m Claire.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics