setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Season Ticket

[Private] Season Ticket

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Private] Season Ticket

Lenny Tronconi | Army of God; Hunter

Posted on Sun May 03, 2015 7:47 am

Thread Details

Index Hospital | Dark | Late

OOC Message

The doctor breezed into our area, closing the curtain around the bed so we at least had a bit of privacy. I could remember her from staying in the hospital before, and while she hadn't been a bad doctor exactly, she wasn't exactly kind. Though at least she wasn't as bad as the nurse I'd hated, who I fortunately hadn't seen so far. I shifted on the edge of the bed where I was sitting, waiting and hoping she'd say I was fine and that we could leave already. I was already feeling better after some of the stuff they'd given me.

Quote Begin Pneumonia.Quote End The doctor announced instead. I stared at her, one hand over the oxygen mask, and just stared. She pinned up an x-ray. Quote Begin It's comparatively mild - so not too serious,Quote End She said, changing her words when she saw my obvious confusion, Quote Begin But you'll still need a strong course of antibiotics. The drip's helped with your dehydration already.Quote End She pointed to the x-ray, where you could clearly see the outline of what must be the metal plating on some of my ribs, the rest of it looking cloudy and weird. Quote Begin Your ribs are bruised, not fractured. I can still write you a prescription for some more painkillers though, you probably know the drill. And you don't need the mask, just deep breaths.. you should know all about that too.Quote End She said, raising an eyebrow at me. I had been through all of this before.

Finally. I took the stupid thing off, throwing it on the bed. The whole time we'd been waiting at the hospital, which had felt like fucking hours, the nurses had kept reminding me I needed to keep it on - so I couldn't even speak to Avery.

Quote Begin Pneumonia!? Quote End I asked, incredulous. Quote Begin Are you sure? That's.. old people get that.. it's just a cough.Quote End I complained, and tried to take an obvious deep breath when the doctor looked at me expectantly, my chest twinging slightly in pain. I couldn't believe I was going to have to go through all that shit again, and worse, that Avery had been right. I tried to avoid looking at her, still determined it could all be some big mistake. I'd have asked if the X-Ray was someone else's, but even I knew that was unlikely with the metal plates so obviously there.

Quote Begin I'm sure. I've sent off for some labs but I'm confident without the results. From your previous injuries, there's scarring in your lung.Quote End she pointed to a part of the X-Ray. Quote Begin It might mean you have less lung capacity, that parts of your lung don't work as well because of it. It'll make you more likely to get chest infections, or bronchitis, which is what this might have started out as, and developed into something worse. I've got on file that you used to be a smoker, but were advised to quit because of this issue the last time you were in. ...are you still smoking?Quote End The doctor asked, even though she looked as if she already knew the answer, and I could feel my heart sink. I glanced warily to Avery before slowly nodding my head. Quote Begin Yes.Quote End I said through gritted teeth, knowing exactly what speech I was about to get. Smoking kills, it's bad for your health.. all that shit. I'd heard it so many times before, but fuck, I liked smoking.

Quote Begin You've probably been heard all the reasons to quit before, but with you, it's important. You need to stop now for the infection to get better, and you need to stop permanently before you cause permanent damage. I doubt you want to end up back in here, worst case scenario, intubated and unable to breathe on your own. The scarring to your lungs puts you at greater risk for infections anyway and continuing to smoke will just make that risk even more serious.Quote End The doctor gave me a pointed look and I had to look away. Waking up with a tube down my throat was still one of my most horrific memories from being in hospital and I'd have done anything to stop it happening again. But actually quitting smoking? It felt like in one way or another, he'd taken away all the things I'd enjoyed doing.

The doctor went through a few other things that I didn't listen properly to but nodded at, so of course repeated them a few times because she could tell, unhooked my IV, told me I needed to rest, to take the medication she'd given and recommended and to drink plenty of fluids - not including alcohol, and then that we could pick a few things up from reception and were free to leave.

I let out a short sigh, trying to breathe deeper like I knew I was meant to, but in the short-term made things more painful. Quote Begin ...fuck...Quote End I groaned, shifting off the bed to stand up. I glanced at Avery, daring her to say something and feeling guilty, miserable, ashamed, and annoyed, but also sort of glad she'd practically forced me to go to the hospital - stayed with me. I looked down at the floor. She'd just better not say she fucking told me so. Quote Begin Thanks.Quote End I said, miserably, not sure what else to say. It came out half sarcastic and I didn't even know if I meant that way or not.

Back to top Go down

Re: [Private] Season Ticket

Avery Marx |

Posted on Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 am

For the last small while I'd been sitting in the chair beside the bed with my elbow on my knee and my fingers over my mouth. Before that I'd been moving about and straightening everything in sight compulsively to try and keep my mind off the fact that I was really worried. But I'd stopped, not wanting to annoy my friend with my constant fidgeting. Which was how I'd come to be sitting, over analyzing everything from my own posture to his to what every extra passing minute might mean. If it was nothing like Lenny had said then wouldn't we be gone already? What if Brad had done some serious damage? What if Lenny had to stay here for awhile and resented me for convincing him to come in the first place? I knew I'd done the right thing by getting him to come here but that wouldn't stop me feeling awful if he couldn't leave.

I stood when the doctor finally walked in, going to stand beside Lenny and unconsciously placing my hand on his arm. I barely even noticed I'd done it with my attention so immediately focused on the woman before us. Whatever I was expecting it was not the words that actually came out of her mouth. Pneumonia? My eyes widened and my head swung, my gaze flying from the doctor to Lenny and back again. I started thinking of all the weeks he might have been coughing with no one looking close enough to notice. I knew it was silly because Lenny was a grown man and relatively able to take care of himself- aside from what he ate and his exercise habits- but I still felt guilty. The words she'd used, 'comparatively mild' were a little reassuring but not much.

Bruised ribs? Brad had bruised his ribs? That was just... so horrible. I felt a flash of anger towards him so intense that I was pretty sure that if he were to appear in front of me right then I'd have no problem with maiming him for what he'd done. Lenny had let him in and given him and chance, and even if Lenny had thrown the first punch it was Brad who'd provoked it.

I listened carefully to each thing the doctor said, not volunteering anything myself because it wasn't as though I were next of kin and I wasn't sure Lenny would even want me to be asking any questions or volunteering any information. But when she mentioned smoking, when Lenny admitted that he still did against medical advice, I couldn't hold my silence any longer. Wait, so all those time I was saying that you shouldn't smoke it was because it's a horrible and unhealthy habit no one should indulge in... you actually shouldn't have been smoking? Oh Lenny... I looked at him with a mix of concern and consternation. How on earth could he not take his own health seriously to such an extent. When she described what could happen if he continued I couldn't get the horrible image of him on some breathing machine out of my head. 

My attention so caught up in that that I nearly missed the doctor turning to leave but pulled myself together before she did. I moved a step away from the bed. Thank you. I called after her as she left and then turned to look at Lenny, trying not to frown. I was relieved though, it was nothing that he couldn't get better from. I focused on that feeling of relief and channeled it into attempted positivity. Which was slight marred when Lenny spoke. I looked at him, head tilted to the side contemplatively as I tried to figure out his tone. Was he...? Are you annoyed with me? I asked, maybe a little bluntly but it was better to outright ask when that's what he'd sounded like. At least you don't have to stay here overnight. I added, hoping that mentioning something good would alleviate whatever irritation he was feeling, even just a little.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue May 05, 2015 8:08 am

Quote Begin What?Quote End I said to Avery with a frown, a frown to try and cover up how guilty her tone made me feel. I knew how Avery felt about smoking, she'd said it enough, and her only having more reason to hate it made me sigh. Quote Begin I like smoking.Quote End I said, clenching my jaw. I eyed her, slightly apologetic underneath it all. Quote Begin And doctors say all sorts of shit - how was I meant to know that was true?Quote End I asked, wishing I had known. People were always bitching about smoking giving you cancer or all sorts of shit, but I'd never expected any of that to happen to me. It wasn't fucking fair.

I looked to Avery and sighed miserably, still conflicted. Quote Begin I dunno.Quote End I said sourly, but then paused and glanced to her again. I slowly shook my head. Quote Begin No. No... I'm not annoyed with you, I'm just - I'm annoyed with everything.Quote End I ignored the wheelchairs nearby and had to fight the urge to kick one of them. Instead I stubbornly, and slowly, started the walk back to reception. I felt better then I had done, but not better. My chest still throbbed even with the pain medication, my head was a little fuzzy (the medication probably didn't help that), I ached and felt so tired and I was still coughing, or felt the urge to cough, thanks to all the shit apparently in my lungs.

My walk slowed as I continued, and as I thought. I kept a hand at my chest, arm wrapped around my abdomen in a strange self-hug. It was more of a comfort thing than anything else.

I nodded at Avery and looked to her again, feeling stupidly vulnerable as I walked, discomfort jarring through my chest. Quote Begin Yeah.Quote End I admitted, Quote Begin At least I don't have to stay here. And... Quote End I broke off, taking a deep breath to prepare for what I wanted to say, Quote End It's.. I don't want... it's not like without you there, that I couldn't cope or shit, yeah? It's just.. stuff happened. Quote End I shrugged, trying to play it off as I thought back to the last few hours - or more likely the half a dozen hours with the time we'd spent waiting. I had no idea what the time was. All I could think was what Avery had walked back in on after so many weeks apart, how pathetic I must have seemed. When I thought back to Brad I really did feel pathetic. Especially after what had happened the last time we'd had to experience him. Quote Begin I shouldn't have let Brad in.Quote End I said suddenly, looking to Avery with a ridiculous amount of sorrow. That was most of what I felt right then, sorry for myself, and for what he'd done to Avery, and just the entire evening and misunderstanding that had caused it all. I couldn't look at her cheek without guilt spiking through me every time. I'd been so busy laying into Brad that I hadn't thought of Avery. Quote Begin Did they say anything about your face?Quote End I asked, glancing to her as I trudged along, feeling a small amount of hope when the sign for reception slowly came into view.

Back to top Go down

Avery Marx |

Posted on Tue May 05, 2015 11:42 am

Well, I couldn't say I hadn't expected an answer like that from Lenny- in fact I'd have been far more surprised if he hadn't responded with something along those lines. I understand that you like it but it it could potentially do that much damage then you really need to try and quit. I looked at him, feeling a little apprehensive about what I'd said. I understood that kicking bad habits was never easy and I didn't want what I said to annoy him. Defensive or even angry reactions were totally normal with this kind of thing. I like to think doctors really do just want what's best for people, some just have terrible bedside manners so it can be hard to remember that. But I think she spelled things out really clearly, definitely seemed to be telling the truth. I wanted him to believe her because if smoking was dangerous for him to such an extent then he had to quite, he just had to. If it made him really sick... I didn't even want to think about it.

Again his tone of voice when he spoke made me worry about what I'd done wrong, almost as much as he non-committal reply. Saying he didn't know if he was annoyed with me just made me feel convinced that he really was. Even when he continued and said it wasn't me I wondered if he meant it or was just saying it so I wouldn't feel bad, though that didn't stop me feeling slightly relieved. That's okay, hospitals never exactly inspire good moods even when you don't mind them. And he really didn't like them so I couldn't even imagine how he felt. He was entitled to be in a bad mood because of it.

I followed him when he started walking, hesitating before deciding not to offer him any help with it. I wanted to, even just something as simple as looping my arm through his. But it was obvious that he was already on edge from being here and from the news he'd just gotten, I didn't want to make him defensive. I was glad I'd made that decision when he started speaking again. What? You believe that I'd think that? Honestly I didn't- I cut off then, stepping slightly behind him to give a passing nurse more space as she rushed in the opposite direction. I moved back in place beside Lenny and stayed silent a few moments longer, thinking over what I wanted to say. Sure, sometimes I did think Lenny needed to be looked out for, but so did everybody. Everyone needed people in there life who'd be there for them or try advise them. I needed it too and I never felt like I was just... looking after him. It was... We look after each other, right? Because we're best friends. But that doesn't mean I've ever thought you couldn't handle your own life. Brad was just... I sighed, feeling bad for him but not pitying him or thinking he was inept. You were just trying to do the right thing. Brad's the ass, not you. Please don't feel bad. I told him, trying to give him a small, reassuring smile and hopefully covering the way my heart went out to him when I saw the expression on his face. 

When he asked me about my face I hesitated, wondering why he was so worried about me when he was obviously in worse shape, something that had been confirmed now. Yeah, just that it would definitely bruise and that there might be some slight swelling in the next few hours but it would go down quickly. Told me to take some painkillers if it hurt. You know, all the usual stuff. I told him, leaving out the fact that I hadn't wanted to bother anyone with something that i knew was just a bruise in the first place. I'd felt silly even asking about it. And I'd been more preoccupied with Lenny's situation. Is there anything I can do? I felt totally useless, full of suggestions but not sure if there was any point in voicing them.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue May 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Quote Begin Yeah, but...Quote End I started arguing, gritting my teeth in desperation, Quote Begin I don't want to get ill, but smoking.. it helps with stress and shit, it makes me feel better.Quote End I complained, honestly feeling like I was having things snatched away from me. I didn't add on that just before my cough had started up I'd been smoking more than usual. I knew deep down that it was probably the cause like the doctor had said, but I didn't want it to be. Quote Begin It's not fair.Quote End I muttered, scowling at the floor as I walked.

I paused at the reception area, sighing in relief that there wasn't a queue. I glanced to Avery and gave her a small smile, one that pulled on my lip that was beginning to heal already and forced me to tone it down unless I wanted to split it again. Quote Begin Yeah? Quote End Even after the strange past few weeks, I had no doubt we were best friends, but it was a comfort to hear that Avery felt that way too. I felt like shit, but no longer like it was the end of the world. I brushed my shoulder against hers before stepping towards the desk.

Quote Begin So it'll definitely be okay?Quote End I asked, feeling relieved. I knew Brad could pack a punch and hadn't even seen how hard he'd hit Avery, I'd been so engrossed in hitting him. I let out a small sigh and nodded at her. Quote Begin Um.. shit... let me think...Quote End I tried to collect my thoughts and actually think what I needed to do next. I needed to get the stuff from reception, probably sign a few shitty forms or something along those lines, and then get my prescription filled. Thank fuck it was a 24 hour pharmacy. Quote Begin Are you.. can you call a cab? And I mean, it's okay if we go to the pharmacy before we head back?Quote End My stomach grumbled a bit as I hovered near the desk and I could just stare ahead with no answer when I tried to remember when I'd last eaten. I'd felt so ill I hadn't felt hungry at all, but since being pumped full of whatever, my appetite had slowly reappeared. It might not have been as big as usual, but I still felt a gnawing hunger in my stomach. Quote Begin And, uh.. maybe get something to eat too?Quote End I asked hopefully, fighting a dull, tired ache as I moved to the desk to sort things out.

I was so sick of the hospital that I mostly did it mechanically. I signed wherever needed without reading and anything that did require thought took me double the time to get my head around it, but eventually I got through it and took the sheaf of papers and prescriptions, holding them awkwardly and looking back to Avery to see if she was ready. Quote Begin I'm done.Quote End I said, and couldn't sound more done if I'd tried.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics