setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Open] The Correct Change - Page 8

[Open] The Correct Change

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Open] The Correct Change

Rupert Hemmingway |

Posted on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Flour, eggs, baking sugar, soda and cocoa powder? It sounded like the contents of one of my mom's kitchen cupboards, not the few things I'd bought the days I'd been in my new apartment. I couldn't help grin at Valla's excitement though, hoping it might transfer into other areas too.. She definitely seemed eager in general and that was definitely not a bad thing. Quote Begin I probably don't have half that stuff, but we can stop off at Walmart on the way back and get whatever you need. Cocoa powder, or bananas. Or both.Quote End Fruit was one of the things I had bought, but I knew that there was only one lone banana left and that probably wasn't going to be enough for the bread Valla had in mind.

I was pumped, looking forward to the night ahead, if Valla's car survived the trip to my house. I grinned to myself - no, it couldn't be that bad - and nodded appreciatively towards Valla for the offer. Quote Begin Thanks.Quote End I glanced over my phone to see Valla bending over the machine, just watching her idly for a second before pocketing my phone and stepping forward. I helped transfer the clothes into the dryer, then smiled and dug in my pocket for more change when Valla held her hand out again. Quote Begin This feels like it'd be more efficient if I gave you all the change.Quote End I smirked.

With that load sorted for the time being, I turned around and leaned against the dryer, next to Valla. Quote Begin So, Valla. Tell me a little more about yourself? What do you do?Quote End I didn't expect her to have a proper job per se, being without a home, but she must do something to supply the gas for her car at least.

Back to top Go down

Valla Satura |

Posted on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:57 pm

I couldn't help but smile at his last question. It was funny how people always asked about a profession or trade and I never had a real answer for it. As the second load of laundry set about drying, I hoisted myself up onto the washer just next to where Rupert leaned and crossed my legs. 

I offered him a small shrug, You'll laugh at me when I tell you... I pushed my long hair away from my face and behind my shoulders as I watched him. Eye-contact with him was lovely and I felt myself sort of drawn to it. Because I move around so much, I usually just do odd jobs, like bar tending, or housekeeping but ... I have an exaggerated green thumb, I guess you could say and a lot of people come to me for medicinal herbs that they can't get other places. And no, I'm not talking about just marijuana. There are a lot of people up here in the Northwest that subscribe to all-natural methods of healing and natural eating and so I grow things and sell them to natural foods stores and apothecaries and shit... Like, Tenzing-Momo in the Pike's Place market buys a lot of stuff from me in the spring and fall. There are a few acupuncturists' offices and naturalists who buy from me, too. Its sometimes feast or famine, but I'm pretty good at making it stretch. 

After all of this admission I bit my lip a little; more or less just nibbling on the inside of it. People who were heavily subscribed to a Western ideal of medicine often found my trade laughable. I'm hoping to find a place I can rent just a bit out of town for the rest of the growing season and then once the first frost sets in, I'll probably pack up and move on.

When my little schpele was finished and shrugged again. It would be nice if I could open my own green house and like, sell my stuff in bulk online but, I don't really have the background knowledge for that kind of thing. Whenever I think about pursuing it, I get nervous and self-doubt rears its ugly head and I never go forward with it. The thought of starting your own business in this economy is kind of frightening...

Back to top Go down

Rupert Hemmingway |

Posted on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:48 pm

I angled my chin upwards, leaning to be able to glance back at Valla and listen properly. I did smile when she told me I'd laugh, but laugh was the very thing I didn't do. I knew that a lot of people were into healthy, organic eating and traditional medicines because two of those people were my parents. Mom had always used homeopathic things and long ago started growing most of her own stuff to eat and I had to admit it did taste nicer than shop bought groceries. Unfortunately, it also took a lot of time, and a lot of money for some of the weirder and more unusual things to help ailments that she couldn't even grow herself. I did think that herbal medicines could be effective, but it was still hard not to be skeptical at some of the outrageous prices things could go for, or of how much was truth and how much really was just mumbo-jumbo.

At the same time, it did make me appreciate the natural beauty of the world though. Out in the forest when hiking, I'd be surrounded by things most people would overlook as just plants, but could actually help you. I couldn't remember all of them from camping trips in Index but one I could remember was pine, considering the number of the trees in the town.

Quote Begin Why would I laugh?Quote End I shrugged back, still smiling, Quote Begin I'm taking your advice and trying to be civilized.Quote End I raised an eyebrow, referring back to Valla's earlier comment on what was and wasn't civilized conversation. Quote Begin I wouldn't laugh anyway - it sounds great. It sounds like you enjoy it, and that's what's important. Quote End That and money, and for most people, a roof over their head, but I could appreciate Valla's quirks for the night considering her other assets.

I perked up slightly at the mention of a business, not that I wasn't interested in Valla's own interests, but business was one of mine. Quote Begin If you do enough research I don't see why you couldn't start a business. It sounds like you've got a niche, which is a start, and with some research you could be on your way to earning a little by selling directly to customers too. It sounds like something to look into. A reason to stay grounded in one place maybe?Quote End I smiled cheekily. I didn't want to offer any more advice just yet, just fish to see how invested in the idea Valla actually was. For a start, it wouldn't work too well if she did kept moving on, and I wasn't about to help someone who wasn't serious about it. You could hardly move a greenhouse across state with you multiple times a year in the back of your car.

Back to top Go down

Valla Satura |

Posted on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:12 pm

I was surprised by his reaction. Sure, he had mentioned earlier that he was into fitness but sometimes fitness and eating right didn't always appeal to a person's tastes. It was easy to have one without the other. In addition, the fact that he didn't at all seem put off by the idea of herbicinal healing piqued a bit of extra curiosity about him. I really do enjoy it. I love getting my hands dirty but I have no idea how to run a real business. What with like, licenses and permits and taxes and stuff. I don't even own a computer so I'd have to hire someone to look into that kind of stuff and I don't have much in the way of savings to really get things started. I'd imagine some kind of capital to start out with is important and I just don't have it.

His mention of having a reason to stick around caught my attention for a moment and I smiled a little, I guess... if I did have my own business I wouldn't want to move. I'd want to oversee things and take care of everything. That is of course... I grinned a bit wickedly, ...unless I needed to open more locations because I was such a successful entrepreneur. Then I'd have a reason to move around again.

It was worth a chuckle to think about. A gypsy staying in one place. A gypsy owning their own business. Sure, it was done sometimes... it wasn't extraordinarily odd. It just sounded off to me. I had never imagined myself to be the type of person that would "settle down" and own a house or anything like that. It wasn't that the idea didn't appeal to me, I'd just never given it any amount of serious thought. Now that the seed was planted, I couldn't help but give it extra consideration. I do already have quite a few customers in Seattle and Kirkland... It'd be nice to not have to start over with clientele.

Back to top Go down

Rupert Hemmingway |

Posted on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:48 pm

I nodded, leaning my elbows on the dryer behind me and leaning back to look at Valla. It was rare with women that I actually found a conversation I could also get my teeth into. I'd developed such a habit of listening and talking about what they wanted to find out about them that talking of my own hobbies often got overlooked. This had become the perfect way to talk about my interests without it also being about me.

Quote Begin Well, you might be right there, but you could find out you don't need as much to start out as you might think. There's always loads. It's honestly all about research and working out what you'd need to do, and then if you don't mind doing the legal side yourself, if you're able, or if you'd need to employ someone - and if a loan would be effective. It's good to have something to aim for. If you've got the client base set up already it sounds like you've got a lot of work already done. You must want to look into it just to see if it was possible...right?Quote End I grinned, leaning further back towards Valla and giving one of her legs a little nudge with my arm. Quote Begin There's a few websites online that are helpful.. I'll show you at mine if you'd like. Quote End I wasn't quite ready to bend over backwards and help her personally, but I had no problem pointing someone in the right direction. It was easy too considering I'd already done that research myself and knew exactly where to look.

I moved off the dryer, fetching one of Valla's bag in preparation of loading the dry clothes into it when they were ready and bringing it back over to her. I jumped up onto the dryer next to her and smirked, jumping right back into our conversation. Quote Begin So.. is the image of being a successful, independent business woman an appealing one?Quote End

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics