setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Open] The Correct Change

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Valla Satura |

Posted on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:38 pm

Thread Details

Laundromat | Clear Skies | 09:42 PM

There are only so many hours in a day that someone can remain in a car without losing their mind. The front seat of a bronze, 1983 Ford Fiesta hatchback didn’t make it any more tolerable. The upholstery was a terrible wool blend that was only slightly-evolved from a Brillo pad and somehow its breathability non-existent making the backs of your thighs stick and sweat even when it wasn’t hot out.

Climbing out of that rusted, tin bucket was like breathing for the first time after being submerged in a swimming pool. The air outside was cool and crisp and the perfume of the nearby woods was strong enough to leave the faintest flavor on your tongue when you inhaled. It was after shutting the door (twice; the latch didn’t catch the first time) and leaning against the frame of the vehicle that I realized I never wanted to drive ever again. Wherever I was… this was where I was going to stay.

I grabbed my purse and opened up the back end of my whip, pulling from it a weeks’ worth of laundry which nearly included every article of clothing I owned. The scent eeking its way from inside was a quarter body-odor,  a quarter cannabis, and fifty percent Love Spell body spray from Victoria’s Secret. If it weren’t for the last half of that concoction opening the bag would have been bad for one’s health. Hefting the mesh bag over my free shoulder I carried it across the street to the tiny laundromat I’d come across.

The building needed a new coat of paint, there was a flickering light outside on the verge of calling it quits, and it appeared to be empty.
I took advantage of that last detail and dumped my dirty clothes on top of a table just inside the door before I even bothered to check my wallet for enough change to do a load. I began separating the articles by color; white… and everything else.  It was like sprawling out on a king sized bed when you had it all to yourself. There was just something exquisite about having so much space and no reason to share it…

Even if it was just to do your laundry.

Back to top Go down

Re: [Open] The Correct Change

Rupert Hemmingway |

Posted on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:42 pm

OOC Message

Finally, I'd found somewhere in Index to call home. It was a gorgeous apartment above a row of small, privately owned stores in West Elkton, a floor of offices below me and absolutely no neighbors. The place was already awesome on the inside, but there were a few things that needed fixing up, a shelf here, a lick of paint on a faded wall there, so I'd spent most of the day wandering hardware stores in Cedar Grove to get a few things. After the long day a meal at the diner had been well earned, and then it only left one task unchecked on my list. One of the jobs I had yet to get round to in my apartment was connecting the plumbing up to my washer/dryer.

I pushed through the doors of the laundromat, bag half full of dirty laundry in hand. It was late and it didn't surprise me that there was only one other person in the joint, and I threw the attractive woman a smile and a greeting as I passed her, Quote Begin Hey.Quote End but continued on to find myself a machine.

The first thing I did when I'd chosen one was pull out my wallet to count on the change I needed. The machines only took coins because apparently laundromats hadn't moved on from the nineties, and I let out a small huff when I opened the coin compartment of my wallet to find it empty, remembering I'd 'cleverly' used it to pay for my meal at the diner. Opening out the rest of it only turned up a twenty dollar bill and of course the change machine on the wall only took fives and tens.

I pulled the twenty out and strode back over to the woman, holding the cash up with a smile. Quote Begin Hey there, d'you have any change for a twenty?Quote End

Back to top Go down

Valla Satura |

Posted on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:04 pm

My solitude had been sullied by a fellow launderer.

This guy, however, had shoes on that looked like they could have been new. His jeans were dark, heavy with dye that could only indicate that they were either a) expensive or b) recently purchased. I didn’t want to think about the third option which was merely that he didn’t wash them.

He smiled at me. The piercing in his lip was the first thing I noticed as the gleam from the metal caught the unforgiving fluorescent lights. Quote Begin Hey. Quote End  I smiled back without even thinking about it. It was just a reaction. I couldn’t help myself, but I watched him for a bit longer until I figured the ogling was borderline creepshow and turned back to my clothes.

Whites… colors… colors… colors… colors… whites…

The sorting continued until his voice disturbed my inner dialogue.  Momentarily startled, my focus shifted from the denim skirt in my hands to his face, to the bill in his fingertips and then back to his face again; his smile at first, then his eyes. He had green eyes. They weren’t just like… eh, green… they were vibrant and warm, inviting and approachable.  After a moment I realized I had been staring and did my best to shake it off.

Quote Begin Oh, um…  I’m sure I do. Let me check. Quote End I departed from my work and grabbed the sling tote I’d set in a nearby chair. After picking it up, the cloth sack made a heavy sound as it connected with the table and I began to dig through it. I immediately hated myself for not having a wallet like a civilized person.

Bill by bill I pulled out change.

First a couple wadded up ones…  a five… a couple more ones and a ten. Perfect for laundry!

Quote Begin Here… Quote End Instead of handing them to him in a wad, I made an effort to flatten them out on the edge of the counter. Quote Begin One, two… seven… eight, nine, ten and ten is twenty. Quote End

My smile punctuated my sentence for me as it offered the winkled currency to him.

Back to top Go down

Rupert Hemmingway |

Posted on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:19 am

I held the bill between my finger and thumb, tilting my head and waiting with a small smirk for the woman to stop staring. When she did I relaxed, but kept my gaze on her. Quote Begin Thanks, sorry to interrupt you.Quote End I said, and stood to wait.

My amusement grew when she pulled over her fabric bag and rather than fish out a wallet, just picked out some notes from within it. There was the familiar jingle of change from within it when it hit the table and it was difficult not to watch the unusual display with one eyebrow raised. Most women had enough bags, purses and wallets to stock a store, not just one. She had a slight hippie vibe to her though. It was always the cute ones that were quirky... and slightly crazy, too.

Quote Begin Thanks, this is great - just as long as you've got enough left for yourself?Quote End I eyed the large amount of washing that she'd already set out, and the bag which apparently held more. My meager bag of a few t-shirts and underwear looked dwarfed in comparison. Quote Begin It looks like you've got a bigger task ahead of you than I have.Quote End I grinned, trying not to let it falter when I caught a faint whiff of an unusual, but still familiar smell, glancing down to the woman's pile of clothes before smiling up at her. Hey, pot wasn't even illegal in the state, so who was I to judge?

Back to top Go down

Valla Satura |

Posted on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:04 am

The observation he made regarding the amount of laundry I had to do prompted me to look back at my sorting.   Quote Begin Um… yeah, I think I’ll be ok. I don’t have to do it all tonight. I can come back in the morning after I get more change. No biggie. Quote End

I offered another smile; one that was slightly crooked and had a playful demeanor in an attempt to assure him that he hadn’t been an inconvenience in the least and maybe initiate some flirtatious conversation.  He was pretty good looking… it was difficult to find someone so attractive an inconvenience anyway.

I gathered up an armful of colors – assorted t-shirts, yoga pants, tank tops… underwear – and carried them over to the nearest machine so that I could stuff everything inside. Articles here and there had managed to escape from my grasp but it was no big deal. It was already dirty. In the process I wished for a moment that I was one of those women who had a sort of finesse about everything that they did; like in the movies. The truth was that I was pretty clumsy and in my short trek from the sorting table to the machine, an escapee bra tangled itself between my toes and the bottom of my flip-flop and sent me flying into the row of machines.  All those pieces of clothing flew from my arms as I outstretched them to catch myself up on the lip of the washing machine in front of me.

In that moment, after I realized what had happened, I silently wished to be swallowed up by the washing machine and spin-cycled into a different reality. At least I hadn’t fallen on the ground? At least I was still upright? My face was turning red, I could feel it.

Smooth, Valla. Smooth.

Fuck my life.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics