setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Surprise, Surprise - Page 2

[Private] Surprise, Surprise

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Private] Surprise, Surprise

Monday West |

Posted on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Quote Begin I'd like you to stay/Quote End I said in reply, probably too quickly. I hadn't even noticed Edie at the door until Farah started introducing herself, suddenly turning round to be met with Edie's sharp eyes. She'd obviously been watching us like a hawk while we talked and I felt a flush cover my cheeks at the thought of what conclusions she might have come to.

She finally entered through the door of the lounge, a stick in one hand. Quote Begin ...nice to meet you. I'm Edie, Monday's grandmother.Quote End I felt relieved when Edie offered her familiar nickname and even more so when she smiled at Farah, but she still kept sneaking suspicious, side-eyed glances at me. Quote Begin You're George and Cecelia's girl, aren't you? Monday didn't mention you knew each other.Quote End Edie finally cracked a smirk, raising her eyebrows at Farah and I, and then made as quick a turn as her joints would allow, ending whatever interrogation her smirk had implied. Instead she eased herself down onto the sofa, propping her stick up next to her. Quote Begin I think we can definitely put Dinosaur back on,Quote End She picked up the remote and the film jolted back to life from it's paused state, Edie's piercing gaze turning back to me, Quote Begin while these two go and make us some drinks. That sounds good, doesn't it?Quote End

My eyebrows shot up, but Edie just turned her smile from us to Tom, who had actually torn his gaze from the screen. Quote Begin Can I have milk?Quote End Tom asked, and I just nodded, glancing to Farah. Quote Begin A peppermint tea would be lovely.Quote End Edie said, returning her eyes to me. There was an obvious, unspoken warning in them, and I nodded quickly to show I understood. Quote Begin The kitchen's this way.Quote End I said quietly, giving Farah a smile that was hopefully comforting.

I slipped back out into the hallway, glancing over my shoulder and shutting the door behind us. Edie had been unexpectedly amazing. With mine and mum's pasts I wouldn't have blamed her for thinking I was up to no good with Farah, but instead of being angry she seemed to be giving us time to talk, even the dignity to do it in private under the guise of making drinks. I didn't even mind whether she'd done it due to her trust in me, or for Tom's benefit, or even another reason altogether . My grandmother would never cease to surprise me. I broke into a soft grin just thinking about it, lifting my eyes to look at Farah. I scratched at the back of my neck and gave a barely-there shrug.

Quote Begin So...Quote End I let the word hang in the air just a second, my stomach clenching with nerves. The only consolation was that at least I wasn't the only one who hadn't been totally forthcoming with the truth, if Farah was actually still in high school. I just hoped it meant she might be more understanding about my not mentioning Tom. Quote Begin It seems we both have things to explain?Quote End

Back to top Go down

Farah Adams |

Posted on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:31 am

My heart leapt slightly when he confirmed that he wanted me to stick around, I couldn't help it. I mean, I was totally made at myself afterwards for reacting like that. Not because I shouldn't react like that with Monday but- well actually if he was old enough to be a father then maybe I shouldn't after all. So I didn't respond outside of a quick nod of my head, showing that I'd stick around. Even if it was just to hear him explain that nothing could happen. It wasn't like I'd been expecting much... but I'd liked him a lot, still did. I just figured his interest in me would have officially drained to nothing now.

I gave Monday's grandmother a small smile, nodding in confirmation at what she said. Yes that's right, and there's my little brother Drew. Not so little anymore seeing as he's climbing his way to six foot. I wasn't exaggerating either, that kid had gone through such a growth spurt in the last year and it didn't show any signs of stopping. He needed to fill out too so he wouldn't look like such a beanpole. I guess he just didn't know you knew my parents? I suggested tentatively. It seemed reasonable to me that you wouldn't just tell your grandmother about everyone you met because of an assumption that she'd know them.

When Edie settled down on the couch and effectively dismissed us I couldn't help but feel surprised. She was obviously one of the ridiculously shrewd old people, which was kinda cool. I mean probably not for Monday so much seeing as he probably got away with nothing. I followed him into the kitchen, plucking at the ends of my over-long sleeves. Jeez, I was really nervous about this. What could I even say? I thought you were younger. I blurted out as soon as he'd finished speaking, blushing immediately and wishing I'd actually taken a second to think before I open my stupid mouth. I mean, I wasn't- I'm not... I don't even know what it is we've got mixed up here. I can see that you have a kid and you're obviously not around twenty like I'd thought... I trailed off, looking up at him from under my lashes. I'm guessing you didn't think I was around seventeen either. Now that I was thinking about it, meeting someone at a community college would probably lead you to assumed they were at least over eighteen.

Back to top Go down

Monday West |

Posted on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:36 am

Edie smiled at Farah, and I felt relieved she wasn't subjecting her to the usual Edie sarcasm. It was only me receiving the small, but pointedly disapproving glances too, making me want to squrim but also ask why.

Quote Begin I'm not the one who keeps complaining how I know everyone in this town.Quote End Edie said, with a raised eyebrow in my direction that effectively stopped the conversation. It made me want to squirm. She was right - it was true - even a trip to the supermarket felt like it took years with all the people Edie would stop to greet and catch up with. She'd lived in Index her entire life and bought up five children there so it wasn't surprising she knew so many people in the town, so of course there was a good chance she'd know Farah's family. I felt a flush cover my cheeks as I wondered why exactly I hadn't mentioned Farah to Edie, though I really knew it was to avoid questions and maintain some amount of privacy, especially when I didn't even know Farah that well. I hadn't wanted to count my chickens before they'd hatched. After my mum though, and considering Edie didn't know anything about my life up to two years ago to tell how similar I might be to her, I couldn't fault Edie for being suspicious of privacy...

- - -

My eyebrows felt like they nearly shot straight up to my hairline and I stared at Farah, stunned into silence. After closing my mouth and blinking, as if I could blink away the surprise, I smiled sheepishly and looked at Farah, even if I was practically dying of panic inside. Quote Begin Wow, seventeen?Quote End I repeated. It suddenly struck my why Edie had been giving me those looks - I was the older and responsible one here. Farah... Farah was still a teenager. At highschool. I was starting to feel guilty, and very, very stupid. Oh god, would she think I was a pervert? Especially as she'd thought I was younger. Quote Begin Yeah... I'm twenty-four.Quote End It felt like a confession. I scratched at the back of my neck, my ears burning, they felt so red. Quote Begin I, um, I had Tom kinda young. I was actually going to tell you about him, when I thought it was the right time....Quote End I broke off and sighed sadly, because that seemed pointless now. There weren't going to be any 'right times' after this mess. I couldn't imagine Farah looking at me in the same way again. I glanced back to her, a nervous frown darkening my features. Quote Begin I have no idea how we got so mixed up either...Quote End My frown deepened as I pushed through the surprised fog, trying to make sense of it. Quote Begin I just assumed you were around twenty too... after meeting you at the college?Quote End How did that make sense, anyway? I started to feel even more stupid, wondering if this whole mess was because I didn't understand the American school system.

Back to top Go down

Farah Adams |

Posted on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:38 am

Oh dear, I really couldn't tell if I was making a good impression or not. I was truly worrying about it but thankfully Monday's grandmother smiled at me and I could feel my shoulders sag a little from relief. I was probably being stupid anyway. What did it matter if I made a good impression really? It was like I'd be asked to babysit again after everything that had been revealed, how awkward would that be? And there was no point in even thinking about the possibility of Monday inviting me over just for... well the sake of it. To hang or whatever. It just so wasn't going to happen. Why would he want to even see me again?

You sound like my grandmother. I mean, she used to know everyone too. So many people turned up for her funeral that there wasn't space in the church and people were standing outside with the doors open to be able to hear. It was very possible that Edie had known my grandmother too but I didn't want to suggest it just in case I was wrong. I'd had more than enough of looking silly for one evening. Plus there wasn't enough time to continue talking about it now that we were retreating to the kitchen. 

I shouldn't have been surprised by his reaction. Obviously he'd had no idea what age I really was. If he was old enough to have a kid then he was definitely too old to want to bother hanging around with someone my age. He was probably super embarrassed that he'd even talked to me as much as he had. The thought made me way sadder than I had an right to be, and left a hollow feeling in my chest that made wrap me arms around myself to try and squeeze it away. Yeah. I mean, I'm eighteen next month so it not totally awful or anything. And I'm really mature for my age. Was I defending myself? Talk about a pointless endeavor. 

My own eyes widened a little when he mentioned his age, a small laugh of relief leaving my lips before I could stop it. You're only twenty-four? So not like thirty or anything? I smiled a little, thinking about how hard it was to tell a guys age sometimes. The old ones could look super young and the young ones could look way older, it was crazy. I nodded when he explained about Tom, feeling a surge of sympathy for him. He's a great kid. I mean, I love all kids but he's pretty special. I'd thought it all evening and I guessed now I knew it was because of the parts of him that reminded me of Monday. I know, it's just one assumption after the other. I was at the community college signed up for first aid evening classes. Y'know, so they wouldn't interfere with school? I thought it's be good for college and it's always a good skill to have when you take care of kids regularly.

Back to top Go down

Monday West |

Posted on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:51 am

She'd be eighteen next month? I blinked in surprise, perking up. Quote Begin Yeah?Quote End Oh god, even I wanted to cringe at how hopeful I sounded, but I couldn't help a flush of hope and relief run through me that Farah would soon be eighteen. Why did it even matter? There was no way this could really go anywhere. I doubted Farah wanted to be stuck with a young dad when she could be out having fun with people her age, but it was hard not to hope. Quote Begin Well you're definitely mature, you had me thinking you were a college student.Quote End I pointed out, realising it might sound like I was trying to place blame a second later. Quote Begin Not that any of this is your fault - it isn't. I think it's just... a big mix up, really. Quote End I hastily added on. Quote Begin If anything, it's me that shouldn't have assumed things.Quote End And being older too, I felt a surge of responsibility.

I turned to put the kettle on, remembering why exactly we were out in the kitchen in the first place. I supposed I should actually make tea, even if I thought Edie had only requested it to give us privacy. And what had Tom wanted? Some milk? Quote Begin What? No, I'm not thirty.Quote End I felt surprised at first, having someone think I was that old, but then burst into a grin. With Tom nearly ten, maybe a lot of people assumed I was that age. Quote Begin When I said I had Tom young.. I was fifteen when he was born. It was obviously, um, a mistake at the time, but I'm not sure I'd change it now if I could.Quote End I gave Farah a quick smile as I walked over to the fridge, grabbing the carton of milk for Tom and returning near her. I opened the cupboard to pull out his plastic cars cup too. I looked at it and couldn't help a goofy grin stretching out over my face as I thought about Tom. Quote Begin Because you're right, he is special.Quote End I glanced up to Farah, smiling and yet feeling sad. It was so unfair for this to suddenly crop up when I felt so comfortable around her. I didn't know what it was but even telling her about my past, which I was usually a bit ashamed about, just felt easy. I let out a small sigh. It was seriously starting to look like my love life, or complete bloody lack of, was cursed.

Quote Begin You're so amazing. School, and babysitting, and first aid classes? Quote End I raised an eyebrow at Farah, slightly in awe. That awe was also one of the sources of my pessimism. Farah was amazing, not-yet-eighteen or not, and I couldn't help feeling that I wasn't good enough for her. It still made me wonder why she'd wanted to get to know me in the first place. I didn't exactly have a lot going for me compared to other people. I turned to Farah, watching her expression, her face, the way her big brown eyes had lit up when talking about the things she loved, and I just couldn't tear my eyes away. When I opened my mouth to say something my breath caught in my throat and the words fizzled out. I didn't even know what I'd planned to say in the first place.

A loud noise from the TV filtered in through the kitchen and I jolted back to my senses, hurriedly setting out cups on the counter and trying to avoid looking at Farah in case I got stuck again. Quote Begin Do you want a drink?Quote End I finally managed to say something, sounding breathless even to my own ears.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics