setting
Index was once a small and close-knit community, but the town located on the western side of Washington state has grown in recent years beyond anyone's expectations. It is the ideal place for those who work in Seattle but can't afford the city's high real estate prices, and for others the natural beauty attracts them to the town. And Index truly is a beautiful place - surrounded by thick evergreen trees, tall mountains and glistening rivers and lakes. While weather is typically rainy with overcast skies even this does nothing to take away from the beauty of the town, and it is only highlighted further when the heavy snow graces the town and caps the mountains in winter. To many, Index would seem like a paradise. And yet lurking beneath this visual beauty there is more to this town than anyone might ever imagine...

Current Time in Index, Washington:
rules
PLAYBYS: Sims from the games Sims 2, 3 and 4 are used to visually represent player’s original characters (no characters from within the franchise are allowed). But, you do not need these games to join and roleplay! If you wish, you can post a thread in our out of character / general forum and list as many physical details about your character as you wish. The members of Index will happily try and make a character for you, and you can choose which one you feel best fits your vision.

AVATARS: Avatars should display your characters face clearly and should be at least 200 pixels tall, and 200 pixels wide.

THREADING & POSTING: When threading with multiple characters, it is important that you post only when it is your turn. This can be acheived by taking note of who has posted before you, and remember you are to always post after them. If you were the thread starter, then it is your turn after the final person has joined your thread.

When creating a thread you are required to place a tag before the title. Here are a list of types of thread you can create and how to tag each one:

[Open] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, with no limit on the number of characters.
[Open - #] Anyone is welcome to join your thread, but there is a limit on the number of characters who can join. Replace the # with how many extra characters you will allow to join your thread.
[Private] Only specific characters can join your thread.
[Closed] This tag should be used for threads that only involve your character.

ACTIVITY: To keep threads moving, people are encouraged to post within three days when it is their turn. If you do not post within three days, and you have not asked people to wait for you, it is possible you will be skipped. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion. While we'd love for everyone to be active every day, we understand that real life and other hobbies are just as important, if not more. We want you to be active because you want to be, not because a rule is telling you to be.

MATURITY RATING: Public threads should all be PG. If roleplayers above the age of 18 wish to post content that could be could be considered graphic then it should be hidden from view using the [hide] [/hide] code, which will enable only those in the threads and administrators to view the content.

[Private] Official Business - Page 3

[Private] Official Business

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Private] Official Business

Rohana Khan | Wolf; Spiritual Leader

Posted on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Quote Begin Oh no, I was talking in general - not about you. But that's good, I think people who work hard are happier.Quote End I sent Peyton a slightly unsure smile, taking the bottle opener and positioning it on the beer cap. I was fine with drinking to make her feel comfortable, but at the same time I was a little worried. It might only be beer, but even a bottle to me had some pretty obvious effects. I'd never been very good at holding alcohol and the fact I rarely drank it most likely didn't help. I still opened the bottle, glancing to Peyton with a grin before taking a quick swing. If I only took small sips I might be able to get away with only drinking about half by the time my questioning was over, and then I could go. Quote Begin Yes, unfortunately...Quote End I let out a light sigh, but in the months at Index I'd grown used to the treatment, day by day at least. When something big came up or an opportunity I could have had was passed over because of the sexism within the force my anger came back sevenfold, and it was always there, but it was too tiring being irritated by every small comment. Especially when I knew some of my co-workers weren't going to sudden;y change overnight. If they ever even changed at all, it'd be a gradual thing. Quote Begin If it wasn't that, though, I'm sure it'd be something else. I've had the typical comments about harems before and all that ther ignorant garbage.Quote End I rolled my eyes. Quote Begin Unfortunately at the moment it's a part of the job, but at least it's usually a minority of people who are like that.Quote End Though a large part of the cops in Index seemed to be like that, more than I'd usually had to deal with, there were still enough to make it bearable.

I'd questioned enough people in my time to know that while Peyton was right in an idealistic world, in the real world things never panned out that way. Quote Begin It definitely helps, and if all security was like that then it'd make my job so much easier, but not everyone.. excels at their jobs.Quote End I gave a quick nod, relieved Peyton seemed to be sure she still had the payslip and knew where it was. It would make my job easier if I could get the date pinpointed without having to look into it myself.

No name. I was happy about that - it made my holding back that I knew Sam much easier if the cops didn't have his identity. The second they worked out I knew him I'd be taken off the case and any hope of finding Sam would be destroyed by the lazy cops who'd have to take over.

What Peyton said next, though, sent a chill down my spine. I set my bottle down on the table. McNeil's killer. Rather than shocking or scaring me, the chill shot a fiery sense of determination coursing through my veins. Quote Begin 'McNeil's killer'? Are you sure he said that, using that exact name?Quote End I was scribbling down on my notepad with ferocity, my tiny handwriting getting larger and sloppier as I rushed. This was what I needed - to know he was definitely involved. It wasn't much, but at least it was something. I looked up to Peyton and caught her gaze with mine. Quote Begin And he definitely mentioned being a detective? This could be extremely important. Is there anything else he mentioned, at all? Anything he did, or anyone he spoke to while you were there... even any other people you've seen before who you'd regard as suspicious there on the same night? I'm assuming it's the only time you saw the man at the pub, too.Quote End What Peyton had given me was useful from the perspective of the official case, but useless in aiding me finding Sam. I already knew he was a private detective, and had guessed he might have been involved in some way, though in a professional or personal matter, I didn't know. I needed people he'd spoken to, anyone who might actually tell me or lead me to where he was.

Back to top Go down

Peyton Marx | Wolf; Warlord/Battlelord

Posted on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Happier? I asked. Not because I disagreed or anything. The exact fucking opposite actually... nearly. I dunno if 'happy' is the right way to phrase it, it's not how I would anyway, but yeah. People who know work hard know they've done their best. A no regrets, 'at least I'm not a lazy asshole' kinda thing. I shrugged, looking at her differently, the idea that we could have more in common than I'd expected was... shit, unbelievable really. She wasn't like my polar opposite or anything, but the time I'd been forced to pair with her for the ball security had told me that we didn't exactly see eye-to-eye on much. Whatever, agreeing on one or two things didn't really fucking matter anyway. 

Finally she stopped acting like the fucking bottle was gonna take a mind of it's own and whack itself across her head and actually drank out of the damned thing. I just nodded when she smiled, taking my eyes off her and reaching for the discarded bottle opener. It was small enough to twirl around my fingers, but fucking awkward at first because of it's shape. I let my hand hang down beside me as I leaned back in the chair, on the side away from her. Some people got pretty irritated when other people started fucking about with things in their hands, saying shit like 'it's distracting' or 'you can't actually be paying attention', like I couldn't concentrate of a fucking shitload of things at once. Idiots.

I whistled low, not surprised that she'd heard shit like that but, shit, harem? I wasn't sure whether I wanted to laugh or not. It was a little funny in a really dickish way. I'm more surprised they've the creativity to come up with shit like that. Maybe feel good about the fact you're obviously an inspiration to their cognitive function. Shit, had that almost sounded nice? I mean, I hadn't meant it to be nice to her, just cruel to them. Fuck, this was why I just preferred not to talk to people. Ideal days consists of sketches and painting, throw in a bit of gaming and sci-fi books and a liberal smattering of booze and I was set. Adding other people to that recipe just fucked it all up.

Whatever, some people are just lazy. Failed cop school or thought being a security guard meant being dicks outside a fancy-ass club. No one really gets in to a security job for the right reasons. So yeah, ain't surprised they don't excel. Unlike me. That was even me having an ego problem or anything. I was fucking excellent at my job, mainly because I was always itching for someone to step outta line or fuck themselves over. Wasn't gonna say I made it obvious or anything... but shit maybe I gave off a 'don't fuck with me vibe' or whatever. It wasn't like I thought about it much.

Shit, that was not the reaction I was expecting. Like she was Charlie and I'd just handed her the bar with the Golden ticket or what the fuck ever. My eyes widened a little at the onslaught of questions. I didn't bother trying to answer anything until she seemed to be finished. Yes, exactly that. Are you going to repeat everything I tell you back in the form of a question? 'Cause that could fucking take a while. I pushed back from the table and stood, draining my beer and heading to get another one. I opened the fridge and got a new one, leaving the empty bottle on the counter. Yes, I'm sure he said that he was or whatever. Look I'm sure about everything I told you and I bet he was sure about it too. He'd definitely thought he was sure about it anyway. I used the bottle opener on the new drink since it was already in my hand and tipped it back. Fuck it, if this kept going I'd need something stronger. I don't know anything else. If I do I can't remember. Maybe when you see the payslip and have the dates you'll be able to check backdated security logs for the camera on that street. If you're lucky maybe you'll even be able to trace him to a place he stayed that night? I stopped, sure she must already know this shit herself. Either that or she was a fucking terrible cop.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:49 pm

Quote Begin Yes, yes - that! Knowing that you've done your best, put in as much as you could, and for me that's what makes me happy. I was bought up to try my hardest at whatever I do... and enjoy it, too. There's something satisfying about completing something, don't you think?Quote End I smiled at Peyton, but a soft, unassuming smile. Had we finally found some common ground between us - common ground that Peyton wasn't eager to dismiss or hide?

I let out a small laugh, but I wasn't really amused, more surprised. Quote Begin I don't know if men's first thoughts when they see me being something ignorantly stereotypical is creative exactly. And I don't think it's their cognitive function that I've inspired.Quote End I said, and let myself smirk this time, rolling my eyes. Those comments annoyed me, but not too much. They cast a bad light on the people who made them rather than me, but the prevalence of the stupid attitudes did still grate on my nerves. Quote Begin I wouldn't mind so much if the people like that, and that includes people I've worked with before, didn't think I was just a pretty face. In good humor, it's not so bad... but there are honestly people out there who think that it makes me less able to do my job, or that I should sit at home all day looking after children. It's... bullshit.Quote End I said, hesitating around the curse word. I didn't like to curse, but there weren't many other words to describe the unfairness of it. I realised I'd started to raise my voice, passion seeping into my words, and dialed it back down. I was getting distracted. Quote Begin Sorry. It's just something that I feel strongly about, but obviously, it's not why I'm here.Quote End

Those thoughts, though, were exactly why Peyton's turn of attitude had me gritting my teeth. Did she really think that I couldn't think of what to do next? Or that I was aimlessly asking questions? I steeled myself, biting back all the sarcastic remarks that were on the tip of my tongue, and plastered a professional, if very cold, smile over my face. Quote Begin Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be sure to take them into account in the investigation. And I'm very sorry if my questions have irritated you, but I wouldn't check if it wasn't important, and the information you've provided is very important to the case.Quote End Peyton didn't realise it, but whether I had known Sam or not, just one simple sentence of what she'd provided was a ridiculous leap forward in the case. McNeil's killer. If those words were as loaded as they seemed to be, not only would we have a potential name for the murder victim, but it also confirmed that the person of interest (Sam, in this case) was involved in the case somehow - and gave his possible profession and a means of finding him. It effectively also pushed Sam up from a person of interest to a suspect, which was why I was planning on keeping the information to myself a little while longer. Just long enough that I might have a shot at finding Sam, or knowing he was okay. Quote Begin I think you've been more help than you realise.Quote End I said, and I meant it. Truthfully, even if Peyton had annoyed me, what she'd told me had also been a great help. Quote Begin Would you be able to write a formal statement for me, just detailing what you've told me tonight? If I leave my number you could call me when you've completed it, and found your payslip. It doesn't need to be done at the station.Quote End That wasn't necessarily true.. but bringing Peyton in would make the statement offical and alert all the other officers to it. I still needed a bit more time, especially as I wasn't completely sure I trusted Peyton. The information seemed almost too good to be true, and the way Peyton had told me... I couldn't help feeling there was something she was holding back, that I wasn't hearing the entire story. It just seemed too.. convenient, almost. It was only a hunch though, and I'd need a background check at least before I put too much weight into a feeling like that. Sometimes information that did seem too good to be true was, oddly enough, somehow true anyway.

I took another sip from the beer, still feeling slightly awkward holding the bottle in my hands. I didn't tend to drink out of bottles. Quote Begin Thank you for the drink.Quote End I said, and relaxed a bit now that my questions were mostly over. Quote Begin What a coincidence that you'd be the one with information, that we'd meet again like this?Quote End I commented with a smile, thinking over all the other houses I'd called at and received no response. Regardless, it had been nice to see the unusual security officer again. Quote Begin How have you been?Quote End

Back to top Go down

Peyton Marx | Wolf; Warlord/Battlelord

Posted on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Woah, what was with that reaction? 'Ooh, yay we thought similarly about something', whoop-de-fucking-doo. I barely stopped myself from leaning away from her, like her preppyness could be contagious. Jesus Christ, if I ever acted like that I hoped there'd be someone there to fucking shoot me. Uh, I guess I kinda meant that. Except more that if you did your job properly no one can come along and try to screw you over saying you didn't. You can just tell them to fuck themselves. What the fuck other reason was there for doing a job right? A goody-goody sense of being a valuable member of society? Fuck that. And I didn't really tend to get satisfaction from my job unless it was from a night I actually got to throw someone out of a bar or something.

Didn't say creative in a 'world-wide standard' sense of the word. I meant it was creative for them. I looked at her for a second before adding to what I'd said in case she didn't get what I'd meant again. Because they're fucking idiots. Now, try misunderstand that. Fucking hell this chick was... I didn't even know how to explain it. I mean, if she hated it so much here she should just leave. I mean, yeah I got that she wanted to find this Sam guy and loved him or whatever, but I didn't think any person could be worth so much trouble. That's what I told myself anyway.

I actually almost laughed at the whole 'pretty face' shit and the idea of her being asked why she wasn't at home dealing with baking and shitty diapers. Jesus, like I'd ever be able to empathize with that. Yeah, don't think I can exactly impart any words of wisdom there. Without realizing it I'd raised my hand to my face, absentmindedly tracing the larger and older of the two scars there. I dropped it quickly, feeling pissed off. Fuck, it wasn't like I actually cared if I even got called 'pretty' or stupid feminine shit like that. I'd rather be known as deadly, and I liked how scars could give off that vibe, even if I didn't like the marks themselves or the memories they carried. I returned my attention to her at her apology, brushing it off. Why the hell are you sorry? I don't give a crap. I shrugged, wondering if she was sorry about 'cursing' or ranting. I still didn't give a shit either way. Maybe I could've phrased it better but... ugh, whatever.

Fuck, what the hell had I said now? She might not have said anything but I could tell she was pissed as easily as if she was wearing a sign on her fucking forehead. Probably her 'taking offense to my impatience'. I didn't even bother to respond, not until she'd seemed to get over whatever had crawled up her ass and the annoyance seemed to fade from her. Then I just shrugged, not really sure what else to say. Yeah fine, I'll find some time to do it. How quickly do you need this shit? I asked, not looking at her as I pulled my phone out of my pocket and slid it across the table to her for her to input her number.

Yeah, I guess it's weird. Or a coincidence, whatever. Holy shit, it looked like this... whatever the hell it had been, was actually wrapping up. I felt myself relax a little knowing that I'd probably be by myself again soon. I hadn't had enough of that lately, not with all the preparation and hours spent with Vaesa learning more about the packs' history and other crap that felt useless. She did actually have good info to pass on too, and  knew how badly I'd be getting through this fucking stuff if it wasn't for her help. Then on top of that there was... my own form of personal lessons- but they were so not a waste of time. Still, thinking all that and then her question pulled a laugh from me. Busy. I've been very fucking busy. You're lucky you caught me at home. I paused, looking at the beer she held and remembering she'd said thanks. Ugh, gratitude was awkward as shit but, shit- And you're welcome. For the beer I mean.

Back to top Go down

Posted on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:52 am

I smiled and simply nodded. While Peyton and I might see eye to eye, almost, on some things, on others we didn't quite. I wasn't going to get into how in my experience, even if you put in one hundred per cent and excelled at your job, it didn't mean people weren't going to come and screw you over because of it. If anything doing a great job made you more open to friendly fire, because it made it more obvious when others weren't working so hard. Even then, no matter what the outcome, I'd still enjoy working hard. I did it for myself, not to prove anything to anyone or make it an easier road for me. I didn't think Peyton would understand.

Quote Begin Okay... I suppose you could look at it that way.Quote End I still didn't see how such a stereotype could be creative, but I wasn't going to argue. My gaze shifted to my watch and I was sure that most of the day officers would be leaving the station, leaving less there to pry if I was going to have a poke around on, technically, unofficial business.

Peyton's voice bought my attention back to her, and I let my eyebrows knit together, watching her finger stroke over the scar on her face. She didn't think she was pretty? Quote Begin I don't know what you're talking about.Quote End I said simply, and stood up. I doubted Peyton would even listen to any gushing compliments I had about her appearance, even though she was very beautiful, regardless of the scars. I placed the photographs back into the folder and tucked it into my bag before straightening up and addressing Peyton. Quote Begin If you could write it down as thoroughly as possible and send it to me tomorrow, I'll be very grateful. Quote End Instead of taking her phone, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a printed card with my name, number and the number for the station on it also, and placed it on the table. Quote Begin Make sure to contact me, rather than the station, it'll be faster that way.Quote End

The comment about how busy Peyton had been assured me I was right in leaving. Quote Begin Well, I'm glad I did catch.. but thank you, and I'm sorry if I disturbed you.Quote End I left the beer, still more than half-full, on the table, hoping Peyton wouldn't notice, or mention it if she did. The small amount I'd drunk was enough to give me a buzz as it was. Quote Begin I can see myself out.Quote End I said, quickly, gathering my bag and reverting to a more professional mode again.

I closed the front door behind me and paused, feeling weighed down. It might have been selfish but I felt lonely. I'd never needed too much company, even if I did enjoy a girly chat, but the one thing I missed was someone to talk to, someone who understood things. That had always been Sam. He'd been like an older brother to me and the impact of others simply not understanding or knowing the right thing to say just made me miss him more.

It was nearly dark outside, the street lit mostly by the streetlamps. I watched the disappearing sun for a second before remembering myself, where I was. My shoes clicked again as I retreated off of Peyton's porch and out of her front yard, but I was too lost in thought to notice. I might have missed Sam, but hopefully that might stop if I worked hard enough and found him - especially with some fresh information. I smiled to myself. I needed to get to work.

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Index is best viewed using Google Chrome.
Site Designed and Coded by Evie.
Administrator & Founder: Evie.

Forum Statistics